Dr. K
Dr. K, Psychiatrist
Experience:  15 years clinical experience in all areas of psychiatry. Holistic and practical approach.

Hi, Over the past 4 months, my huband has been obsessed with

Over the past 4 months, my huband has been obsessed with things religious in nature and has been spending hours online researching. Within the past week he believes god is talking to him and is telling him to do things in dreams. He has also told me other things that have me very worried. He continues to tell me and his family that he is not crazy. I am very worried, I asked him to see a psychiatrist but he refuses. What should I do?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. K replied 5 years ago.

This is definitely worth taking seriously. Would he be willing to see the family doctor? If so I would speak to the family doctor 1st to tell him all your concerns. Usually confronting these symptoms as not being reality based does not work.

The 1st step would be the doctor ordering some simple tests to make sure there is no medical cause of these symptoms (thyroid disease, infection, seizures, etc). If all the tests come back negative, the doctor might be able to convince him to try some medicine to help get rid of these symptoms.

You might also want to find out if there is any history of such problems in the family...and whether there is any possibility he is abusing prescription or street drugs? Let me know if you need more ideas.

Please let me know if you need more information. We can continue the dialog until you are satisfied. Once your are happy with the answers don't forget to hit the ACCEPT button & provide expert feedback. Also remember that this is not an official doctor patient relationship and not a substitute for a full live psychiatric evaluation. Thank you for using