TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

I am using K2 now and this makes me feel like a human being.

I am using K2 now and this makes me feel like a human being. I can't concentrate without it. I prefer marijuana but am not using it because it is illegal. I want to get off the K2. Is there any safe and legal drug that would help. I was dx'd with ADD when I was young and definitely have trouble focusing on things.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

It sounds you are on the right path with seeking a medicine more appropriate with your symptoms and discontinuing the K2.

There are two issues here. One is the ADD and proper medication, and the other is the K2 and weaning yourself off the drug

From what you said, it appears that you have seen a professional and been diagnosed with ADD and possibly depression or anxiety, or both. However, if issues with concentration are your main symptoms you need to be on a medication that is specific for adult ADD. In adults, especially men, it is not rare for the hyperactivity component to diminish but the concentration problems to remain. Many men find that a psychiatrist can prescribe you medications that can help you focus much better. Ritalin, cylert and adderal are often used to address adult concentration issues. Each has to tried as the reactions to these medications are very individualized.

As far as the K2, studies in both the UK and the US show that mood stabilization, prior to withdrawal, can be enhanced naturally as well as pharmacologically. Natural alternatives include one hundred milligrams of magnesium glycinate, one hundred milligrams of calcium, and ten milligrams of zinc. These compounds have a natural calming effect. However, before taking these supplements, please check with your doctor. An excellent source of pharmacy grade supplements is www.kirkmanlabs.com.

I hope this helped you,

Kate