Dr. K
Dr. K, Psychiatrist
Experience:  15 years clinical experience in all areas of psychiatry. Holistic and practical approach.

Would a cognitive behavioral therapist be able to help me drink

Would a cognitive behavioral therapist be able to help me drink responsibly and help with my anxiety? What is out there? And what would a session be like?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. K replied 5 years ago.

CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) is a great treatment; although it is one of the better types of psychotherapy as far as the ability to research and prove how effective it is. As of yet, there is no consistent research that proves CBT can help reduce drinking. 12 step programs (AA/NA) are the best proven treatment for drinking...but CBT could possibly help. It can definitely help anxiety.

A great self help book written from a CBT perspective is "Feeling Good" by David Burn, MD. Here are some other links to help explain CBT:

Let me know if you need more info. Good luck.

Please let me know if you need more information. We can continue the dialog until you are satisfied. Once your are happy with the answers don't forget to hit the ACCEPT button & provide expert feedback. Also remember that this is not an official doctor patient relationship and not a substitute for a full live psychiatric evaluation. Thank you for using