TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

My 35 year old brother has been through 5 depressions in his

My 35 year old brother has been through 5 depressions in his life: He cant sleep... he doesnt want to feel that way... sometimes looks desperate to get out of it... Been in the hospital 2 times in the past 2 months...
My question is how can i help him recover is there some info i can have to start the process?

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

I'm sorry to hear about your brother's situation. Depression can take a toll not only on the person, but the family as well.

There are many ways to help your brother. But first, determine if he wants your help. If he is refusing to let anyone help him, it will be very difficult to do anything for him. If he is willing to accept your help, then you can start by telling him that you are there for him. Let him know he is not alone. You can do this even if he refuses your help.

Also, become acquainted with his treatment. What medicines is he taking, is he in individual therapy, group or other type of therapy, what other treatments has he had. These are all important to know so you can help him find the best treatment options and therapists.

You can also attend his psychiatric appointments so you can help your brother ask questions and remember information the doctor tells him. You can help him to keep track of medicines, side effects and follow up appointments.

There is an organization called NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness that can help you find local groups and resources to help you, your family and your brother. The are at

There are books that can help you as well. One is called Undoing Depression: What Therapy Doesn't Teach You and Medication Can't Give You by Richard O'Connor. Also,

Talking to Depression: Simple Ways To Connect When Someone In Your Life Is Depressed by Claudia J. Strauss and Martha Manning. These are good resources to help give you a start with helping your brother.

I hope this has helped,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what has has worked most of the times for you...( examples) like feeding his ego or a daily plan for him because i feel he gets lost and cant think right...

the main problem is his ex wife is very cold person and he's 2 yr old daughter he hardly gets to see plus no job.

You may want to consult with his therapist and/or psychiatrist on what they feel would work. It is difficult to say since I cannot speak with him and see what his needs are. Helping him with daily activities is always a good thing if he is having trouble accomplishing tasks and staying on focus.

His issues with his ex wife may be something he could speak with his attorney about. They could help him with visitation issues. However, if your brother is having trouble caring for himself, being responsible for a two year old may be too overwhelming for him at this point. Right now, he needs to focus on getting himself better through a good treatment team and support from you.

My best to you,