Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience
13965555

Is social anxiety on the rise, or is it just that more people

Customer Question

Is social anxiety on the rise, or is it just that more people are facing their anxiety and seeking help for it? _If social anxiety is on the rise, do you think that the Images portrayed in the North-American media are a contributing factor and why? _Who does social anxiety affect the most, and what are the effects? __
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 3 years ago.

Carol Kryder LMFT :

Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer. Your question is not closed until you are satisfied. I am happy to assist you with your question.

Carol Kryder LMFT :

Is this a school assignment, or are you just curious? If you are just curious, I can tell you that I am finding a huge increase in stress and anxiety in my private practice patients. I think this is a function of the enormous stresses we currently have in our society, not the least of which is financial, along with uncertainty about the future.

Carol Kryder LMFT :

This type of worry activates the amygdala, a gland in the brain, which then produces the "flight or fight" stress hormones, and the person becomes aroused with no place to go -- they just worry about it. As for the media, I do think there is a certain degree of catastrophication promoted by newscasters, which would certainly feed into the anxiety already present for many people.

Carol Kryder LMFT :

Social anxiety affects, children, adults, young and old, men and women equally. It knows no boundaries. The effects are lower productivity at work, people not reaching their potential due to fear, wasted effort and time, as well as needless paranoia and protective moves against imagined threats.

Customer :

Thank you for your reply. This is indeed a school project and my paper deals with social anxiety. In my research, I have found that girls and women are twice as likely to be sufferers of social anxiety. I was wondering if you could give me clarification as to how the financial piece fits into that concept. I would also like more clarification on whether the media shows images, NOT Financial Reporting, that lead to people, especially females to feel more socially anxious.

Carol Kryder LMFT :

I am aware that the research seems to show that women are more inclined to social anxiety, but I think it is just as common in men, they are just less willing to admit it. Remember, social anxiety includes public speaking, writing, eating and urinating. Men might avoid those activities due to anxiety but attribute the reason to something more socially acceptable.

Carol Kryder LMFT :

As for the financial piece, many people have either lost their jobs or are in fear of losing jobs, so the stress level generally is much higher than I have ever seen it. Foreclosures are at an all time high, and more and more people are talking about the fear of losing their jobs, even if the company is not having layoffs. Of course, this is not strictly a social anxiety issue.

Carol Kryder LMFT :

So for the purposes of your paper, financial issues do not really attribute to social anxiety.

Carol Kryder LMFT :

Need to step away for about an hour. will check back then.

Customer :

Thank you for your help.

Experience: APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience
What kind of detail would you like?