Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience
13965555

recently i drove over a bridge and stopped at the top of it

recently i drove over a bridge and stopped at the top of it as the traffic build up. i started feeling scared that i might lose control over my mind and might drive off the bridge. a scary feeling what is going on?

Carol Kryder LMFT :

Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer. Your question is not closed until you are satisfied. I am happy to assist you with your question.

Carol Kryder LMFT :

You had a panic attack, which is rather common for people who have anxiety about heights. This is not serious and you will not lose control or drive off the bridge. These feelings are merely symptoms of the anxiety. The best thing to do is to breathe slowly, in through the nose and out through the mouth, while telling yourself things are OK, you are just fine, some type of affirmation which you find soothing. It will pass in just a few minutes, I promise.