Luann, Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist, 24 years experience working with children, adolescents, families and adults.

My 93 year old mother although she is very fit and well is

My 93 year old mother although she is very fit and well is accusing people of stealing from her , I am very concerned as I am her last contact and she has accused me of stealing from her and says she wants no contact with me ,I have been advised to appolagise to her but if I do this will I not be re-inforcing the delusion and making things worse ?
when she accused my brother of stealing from her she started with small things at first and gradualy accused him of more and bigger things and I would be concerned that if i did appolagise the same patern would follow, or should i confront her and try to make her see the truth ?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Luann replied 5 years ago.

Luann :

Luann :

It is distressing when our loved ones are not functioning at their best. Remember your mother is 93, she may be on a variety of medication which add to her paranoia/delusions. Act with love towards her. You have a variety of acceptable responses to her, from apologizing to confronting. Maybe look for a response in the middle. You could simply say, I am sorry you feel that way and change the subject or just change the subject. Focus on maintaining a positive relationship. Rather than "visiting" or spending your time talking, look for activities to do together, like playing games/cards or reading to her. She has a lot of time on her hands to think and her thinking may go astray. You don't want to spend your time on that. Just spend time with her, be present.