Luann
Luann, Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist, 24 years experience working with children, adolescents, families and adults.
50737979

iv been self harming for 3 years and only just gone doctors

Customer Question

iv been self harming for 3 years and only just gone doctors about it she put me on medicalion and said iv got sever depression started couserling but stoped going cant talk about it I cant trust people noone knows how can I stop self harming and get over my depression im taking it all out on other people please help me
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Luann replied 5 years ago.

Luann :

Hello

Luann :

I am sorry you are feeling so badly. There are many people who hurt themselves when feeling depressed. You are not alone in this. The most effective treatment is medication and therapy/counseling. I know it is hard to trust a therapist, please give it time. You do not have to talk about the depression or cutting right away. It is OK to take your time to get to know the therapist and for them to get to know you. Let your counselor know that it is hard for you to trust, they will work at your pace. You do not have to quit harming yourself right away either, that will come in time. The important thing is to get started with a therapist and stick with it. You will feel better.

JACUSTOMER-masvplr- :

its not just the counseler I dont trust its every 1 but I really do need to talk but just cant Im getting even more agree with my self.

Luann :

Yes you are right, you do need to talk and develop trust with someone. A counselor is a good place to start because we have training and experience working with people just like you. Break it down into steps, first make an appointment, then go to the appointment, make another appointment . . . take it one step at a time. Don't think ahead too far, one baby step at a time.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hi anther expert replyed to my question in the weektold me to go a an e im self harming is getting worse and my depression getting worse i wont to try coucelling again but i find it very hard to trust any 1 and thinking an over dose is the only way out im on medicion should i ask 4 a higher dose
Expert:  Luann replied 5 years ago.

See a counselor/psychologist. Make an appointment. Ask them to help you monitor your symptoms. They will be able to advise you about medication and work with your doctor so you get the best treatment possible.