Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience
13965555

I have been taking 200mg of lamictal for a mood stabilizer

I have been taking 200mg of lamictal for a mood stabilizer after suffering from an assault I was diagnosed with bipolar II that was 10 years ago. I stopped taking my meds on october 30th of this year because my my husband and I have really been wanting a baby. I have been taking 2mg klonopin for a few days now, since thursday becuase my grandfather died and I have been really upset. I guess my question is, If I stop the klonopin then how soon after can we start trying to conceive again? Is it safe right away or has it effected this coming egg yet? I'm on my period now.

Carol Kryder LMFT :

Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer. Your question is not closed until you are satisfied. I am happy to assist you with your question.

Carol Kryder LMFT :

You should be just fine. Klonipin passes through the system within a day or two. In any case, doctors will sometimes prescribe low doses of Klonipin during pregnancy, so you should have no worries about your baby.

JACUSTOMER-itsd6au2- :

Ok so it would be safe right away?

JACUSTOMER-itsd6au2- :

What about the lamictal?

Carol Kryder LMFT :

You can try to conceive after this cycle is over. The egg has not ripened yet.

Carol Kryder LMFT :

No, you cannot take Lamictal during pregnancy.

JACUSTOMER-itsd6au2- :

I mean how long does it stay in your system?

JACUSTOMER-itsd6au2- :

I wasn't thinking of taking it during I stoped at the end of october

Carol Kryder LMFT :

Lamictal? We don't know for sure, but you are definitely OK if you stopped in October.

JACUSTOMER-itsd6au2- :

you don't know if it has left my body? Is that what you mean?

Carol Kryder LMFT :

No, what I am saying is that it definitely has left your body. Most doctors think it is out of the body after two weeks. You are way past that.

JACUSTOMER-itsd6au2- :

Ok great, So are you saying I can try and conceive when I ovulate next?

Carol Kryder LMFT :

Yes. Good luck

JACUSTOMER-itsd6au2- :

Ok,, thank you so much, do you happen to know if the risk increases for the baby to have bipolar if the mother was diagnosed?

Carol Kryder LMFT :

Unfortunately, bipolar disorder is heredity, so your baby has an increased chance of developing the disorder. Be sure to watch for symptoms.

JACUSTOMER-itsd6au2- :

Do you know what the increase is and what are signs to watch for?

Carol Kryder LMFT :

Expert opinions vary about the actual risk, but I would venture to say that your child has a one in four chance of showing traits of bipolar disorder. Just my personal opinion. Signs in children would be irritability, not just tantrums, but rages, angry outbursts lasting longer than just a few minutes. Believe me, if your child is bipolar you will know there is something wrong. They will be a difficult child and will have rages for no reason. They may also have depressions and talk about not wanting to live, or actually make attempts at self harm. That is the time to get an evaluation by a child psychiatrist.

JACUSTOMER-itsd6au2- :

Ok so in your opinion it has a 20% risk?

JACUSTOMER-itsd6au2- :

So the risk is around 20%? My husband and I have been really wanting to have a baby. I am taking GNC pre natal vitamins and eating healthy. Should I have pre natal vitamins prescribed instead? I don't really work out. I take the dog on occasional walks but that's about it. I was thinking of joining a bikrim's yoga class because we recently moved. How much should I be exercising and what types of exercise are best. Would bikrim's yoga be to over heating, I'm always cold that's where that idea came from. any special tips to get healthy and improve our egg and sperm quality? Also is it safe to have sex on your period? Thanks and Happy Holidays!