Luann
Luann, Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist, 24 years experience working with children, adolescents, families and adults.
50737979

I am a 34 yr old male who was diagnosed as suffering from anxiety

I am a 34 yr old male who was diagnosed as suffering from anxiety and depression over 10 yrs ago by my gp, I have since been on prozac. I have attempted suicide twice in my life more recently only 12 months ago for reasons I do not understand myself.

I write to you as I have recently stumbled upon some information on bi polar disorder and after some research into this I feel that I may actually be suffering from this and would like diagnosiss. I have episodes when I feel I can control everyone and anything, that I am un stoppable this leads to rash behaviour in spending,drinking, drugs and promiscuity which at the time i do not feel any regret or guilt for. It is in these times I also do well in my role as a business manager which really drives my ego on and sort of makes things worse.

These episodes can last for months and then I almost every time suffer a crash! where I hate myself for what I have done and said I am paranoid and stop associating, don't take calls and I can be very short tempered its at these points I believe the people around me would be better off if I wasn't here.

I would like to understand if I am in fact a sufferer or if it is something else, I try to control myself but sometimes find it impossible and will spend days in bed away from the world and everyone.

Luann :

Hello

JACUSTOMER-e2pmx5t2- :

hello there

Luann :

Your symptoms sound not only distressing but impairing. You are right to question your diagnosis. I recommend you see a psychologist for an assessment.

JACUSTOMER-e2pmx5t2- :

yes they are and I feel as though Im not in control at present even though I want to be

JACUSTOMER-e2pmx5t2- :

I am unceratin of how I go a bout seeing one?

Luann :

Look in the phone book for a local community mental health center, ask your doctor and/or go to your State's website for their board of psychology. Also, write down your symptoms and the patterns you have observed, this will help in making an accurate diagnosis. There are many different Mood Disorders and it is important that you get an accurate diagnosis.

JACUSTOMER-e2pmx5t2- :

do you think it is more than just depression?

JACUSTOMER-e2pmx5t2- :

or am i being weak?

Luann :

It sounds to me like more than depression. Do not think you are being weak, what you are experiencing is a chemical change, all the strength in the world would create little change. What you need to focus on is getting the help you deserve.

JACUSTOMER-e2pmx5t2- :

is diagnosis done face to face and in an interview style?

Luann :

Typically a combination of face to face interview, background information form that you fill out and maybe testing. Excellent question.

JACUSTOMER-e2pmx5t2- :

is it something that takes a numerous appointments to diagnose or is it dependant on what i am suffering with? Also is it common to behave the way I do and feel as I feel totally alone at the moment even though I have a wife and 3 children?

Luann :

One, it typically takes an appointment or two depending on if and how much testing is done. It is likely that on-going therapy will be helpful for you to develop skills to better manage your moods in addition to medication.

Luann :

Two, your symptoms are not unusual and feeling so distressed causes a person to withdraw and feel alone. Try to calm yourself by doing some deep breathing and relaxation. Letting yourself think about this too much just creates more distress. You will feel better, you just need to take the steps to get there.

JACUSTOMER-e2pmx5t2- :

great ok many thanks for this Luann, i really need to see a physcologist and get diagnosed which i will organise and hope to gain some control over my behaviour and feelings

Luann :

The best of luck to you! Bye.