Mina
Mina, Clinical Psychologist
Experience:  Working as a Highly Specialist Clinical Psychologist in NHS. Experience in both children and adults
35302356

I have a questions in how pediatriac psychiatrists usually

I have a questions in how pediatriac psychiatrists usually make conclusions when observing patients. Do you evaluate one time and make a conclusion and recommend medicine right away from one visit, or do you evaluate from more than one visit before concluding or recommending medicine. Also taking into consideration past incidences, if any that's related.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Mina replied 3 years ago.

Psychiatrists would need to conduct an assessment of the child, take family history, medical and mental health history, an account of current and past symptoms and circumstances or past events relevant to the possible disorder. If all this information is satisfied and the child meet certain criteria of a possible disorder then the Psychiatrist could make a diagnosis and prescribe medication or another form of treatment.

Hope this helps

All the best

Mina
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I know all of what you mentioned. But would one prescribe medication based on a one hour visit and past history. To me that's not a full evaluation.

Expert:  Mina replied 3 years ago.
Well, as I wrote earlier it is possible to prescribe medication if the psychiatrist feels that he/she has a clear picture of the issues or disorder and the circumstances around it. If it appears to be more complicated then a second session would be necessary. I do understand that you may feel that one session may not be enough some times but this is down to clinical judgment and the individual case.

Hope this helps

Mina
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My situation is involved and I as a mother know my child. I don't feel like the doctor knows him as well as I do. While I don't like the thought of medication, I am open to it upon further evaluation and the doctor knowing my child who has some speech and languague difficulties and phrases things one way, while meaning something different another way, sometimes. Would you consult with counselors and neuropsychologists as well before making a determination, knowing the child has these difficulties.

Expert:  Mina replied 3 years ago.
It does depend on the disorder that your child presents symptoms of, whether you would need to consult other professionals regarding his speech difficulties. A psychiatrist would take all this information that you would give to him/her into consideration and suggest for your child to have further specialist assessment if needed. If other professionals are
involved such as a neuropsychologist then all reports would be considered before the final diagnosis and decision on treatment . It is difficult to give you a more specific answer and we could not possibly offer an assessment on line or give you more specific advice on disorders without meeting with your son and yourself. I would encourage you to discuss all your reservation with the psychiatrist.

Thank you

Mina
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I know and that's fine. I appreciate just knowing one would sometimes review all evaluations before making a final decision. Thank you and have a good day. I will accept your answer.

Expert:  Mina replied 3 years ago.
Thank you.

Best of luck to you and your child

Regards

Mina
Mina, Clinical Psychologist
Experience: Working as a Highly Specialist Clinical Psychologist in NHS. Experience in both children and adults