Luann
Luann, Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist, 24 years experience working with children, adolescents, families and adults.
50737979

my son is 13 i think he may have some form of add or adhd we

my son is 13 i think he may have some form of add or adhd we both answered 8 out of the 9 questions answered about him he has most of all the symptoms im really worried its affected his schooling and family life please help if u can
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Luann replied 6 years ago.

Luann :

Hello

Luann :

To accurately diagnose attentional problems requires a comprehensive evaluation. The type of questionaire you describe was probably a screening tool, meant to let you know if further evaluation is indicated. Talk to the school and see if they can evaluate him, if not, ask for a referral. Also talk to your doctor and ask for a referral. There are several reasons why a child may display symtpms of inattention and getting an accurate diagnosis is really important. Once that is done, then you can focus on an appropriate treatment approach to best help him.

JACUSTOMER-b9t4i7av- :

i have been trying for years on and off and no one will listen to me

JACUSTOMER-b9t4i7av- :

hes now been suspended for the 3rd time in 6 weeks from school due to his lashing out fidgeting

JACUSTOMER-b9t4i7av- :

he thinks he has it himself

Luann :

If you are finding that the school is not being helpful, look outside the school. Talk to your doctor/pediatrician. Have all of his difficulties and symptoms written down so you can present the situation in a concise manner since doctors don't have a lot of time. Ask to be referred to a child psychologist who can do an assessment and provide information to you, the doctor and school.

JACUSTOMER-b9t4i7av- :

im at my wits end jamie is one of four children and its hard to cope with his behaviour he constantly tells lies losses everything i have to replace school jackets all the time mobile phones

Luann :

Your doctor may be willing to start him on medication. That will give further data on what is going on with your son. He may respond positively or not at all. That will tell you a lot.

JACUSTOMER-b9t4i7av- :

im on the waiting list for a child psychologist

JACUSTOMER-b9t4i7av- :

i no u cant give me a accurate answer as u who probably have to c him but if i tell u alittle about him do u think that u would b aBLE TO TELL IF HE HAD anything wrong with him he was born at 30 weeks

Luann :

That is great! Do they have a cancellation list? Sometimes you can get in sooner if you are able to come with little notice, that is when someone cancels their appointment at the last minute.

Luann :

Even without you telling me much more about your son, the fact that he is struggling at school and in the family tells me something is going on which requires further attention. You are right to pursue services.

JACUSTOMER-b9t4i7av- :

thank u

Luann :

Good luck! Bye!

JACUSTOMER-b9t4i7av- :

bye