Luann, Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist, 24 years experience working with children, adolescents, families and adults.

What will be an appropriate approach to help a 12 year old boy with stocking fetishism H

What will be an appropriate approach to help a 12 year old boy with stocking fetishism?
His mother noticed son's attracted to stockings since 2yrs old. Parents busily working. The boy was sent to live with close relatives when mother was pregnant with daughter. Returned to live with parents half year later but day time nannies were hired to look after him. Mother bought a lot of toys to compensate for not being around him much.Mother found stocking in son's room throughout his primary school years and also recently. Mother afraid son might get caught stealing stockings in boarding school. Son refused to go abroad for boarding school last year but his wish was denied. He cried bitterly when mother had to leave him in another country and return to Asia.

Luann :

Luann :

The boy sounds anxious and I am guessing that you are a relative. Given the brief history you described his anxiety may be related to his relationship with his mother/parents. Since it sounds like his mother has not been receptive to feedback nor willing to acknowledge that there is a problem, I suggest you contact his school and talk to a counselor or social worker. You do not need to go into detail, schools are kind of public places, but let them know you are concerned and request that someone touch base with him. Maybe if he has someone at school that he feels comfortable talking to, he will reach out himself.

JACUSTOMER-pfvi52xr- :

Thanks Luann! I think that's helpful!