Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience

For 3-4 months this year while on paroxetine I was experiencing

For 3-4 months this year while on paroxetine I was experiencing all the symptoms of bipolar, since coming off it through my own choice i am no longer experiencing bipolar highs and lows but what I would describe as depression. I was wondering if it is possible that I do have the disorder or whether the medication was possible cause of the symptoms?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 5 years ago.

Carol Kryder LMFT :

Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer.

If you get manic symptoms while on an SSRI, such as Paroxetine, you should stop it immediately and ask the doctor for a mood stabilizer. I cannot guarantee that you are bipolar but you could be. Please see the doctor and describe your symptoms and ask for a mood stabilizer such as Lamictal for your depression.

Best to you