TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

About 17 years ago I was under a LOT of stress and was very

About 17 years ago I was under a LOT of stress and was very depressed due to circumstances - difficult upbringing, marriage breakup, new house, living in different area, new baby and no support - and I had counselling and a little hypnotherapy and then I lost touch with reality and believed I had been abused in my past and that my family were linked with Satanists. I became very paranoid and was sectioned. After this they put me on very heavy drugs for a while thinking it was an acute psychotic attack and then prescribed an antedepressant. Since then I have had numerous relapses and am currently on an antedepressant (venlefaxine) and an antipsychotic (amilsulpride). They have told me that my diagnosis is psychotic depression.

I'd be grateful if you could advise me as to whether you think this is the correct diagnosis and what the likely prognosis is. My local doctor said that she thinks I will be on drugs for the rest of my life - the side effects have been really bad - massive weight gain - leading to diabetes type II - and some hair loss, so i'd be grateful for another opinion.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

From the list of symptoms you described, in my experience the diagnosis of Depression with a psychotic break or Psychotic depression fits. So to answer your question, I think the diagnosis fits. Common symptoms of this disorder include agitation, anxiety, psychosis, constipation, insomnia, and intellectual impairments.

However, that is not to say that you cannot work towards recovery. There are numerous medications you can try. You are not stuck on one type of medicine. Some of the medications you can try are risperadone, olanzapine, and quatiapine.

Speak with your doctor about changing medicine and let them know about your concerns.

I hope this has helped,

Kate

Edited by Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC on 12/16/2010 at 1:21 PM EST