Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

I am 77,male, live alone, feel very depressed, my life not

Customer Question

I am 77,male, live alone, feel very depressed, my life not working. depression slides deeper.
Checked into hospital once to protect myself. Stayed for a week. Have been active in sports. Can be fysically fit in a short time if I swim or ski.
Right now I feel totally down. Have emotional dreams.
I am very sensitive for Anti depr. drugs side effects. e.g. venlafaxine. I am not on any drugs.
I have seen a psychiatrist from time to time for 20 years. He does not think I need drugs. He can make me feel better after a session. One hour later I am back at square one.
Can anyone help?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your problem.

It sounds like from what you described that you have been seeing a psychiatrist and although that helps immediately after the session, it does not help in the long term. Also, you are taking medication but I'm not clear if it's working for you. The side effects appear bothersome as well. And you indicated that your doctor does not feel the medication is needed.

I was wondering if you might have considered other treatment options. Regular, individual therapy with a counselor who has experience in depression might be a better option. You sound very aware of your issues and what makes you feel better. Your insight would go a long way in helping you in regular therapy sessions. Once a week would work unless you feel you need to be seen more often. They would also be able to help you to work with your dreams and determine the origin of the dreams.

Also, support groups might help as well. There are two benefits to a group. One, is the sharing of symptoms, feelings and issues with others who are experiencing the same thing or close to it, and the chance to gain support and social contacts which helps depression suffers improve their moods. Groups tend to be a great way to feel less alone with your depression. You would also have better input from others on what medication works for depression.

Support is key here as well. Since you live alone, it is much easier for you to isolate and you must force yourself to make contact with the outside world. Try taking baby steps and get yourself out more often. Join a hobby group, meet a friend for coffee, browse a bookstore, anything to get yourself out and about. It is hard at first, but if you take it slow, you can do this.

I hope this has helped,

Kate

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
does a new question generate another charge?

If you continue our thread and need to ask me another question, that is fine. There is no charge for that, just the original question if you click accept.

Kate