Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience
13965555

Have I already screwed up my 4year old He has thus far been

Have I already screwed up my 4year old? He has thus far been living in a very negative household. We are currently going through bankruptcy, a pending separation and his younger brother is a special needs child. His brother requires a lot of attention. He acts out a lot and is obsessed with his toys. Often he prefers to play alone. What does this mean and is it too late to turn things around for him?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 5 years ago.

Carol Kryder LMFT :

Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer. Your question is not closed until you are satisfied. I am happy to assist you with your question.

Carol Kryder LMFT :

Of course it is not too late. Your son will stop acting out when you have settled down yourself. You need to make his environment as predictable as possible and right now it may not be possible, but you need to start working toward that for him. Please get as much support for yourself as you can. As I said, when you have settled your life down your son will follow suit. Do not feel guilty, because you have not screwed him up.

Carol Kryder LMFT :

I urge you to get into therapy and get some support. Possibly you can join a support group of other parents who have children with special needs. Do you have any specific questions about this?

JACUSTOMER-jy7njypd- :

I guess I fear that I may not have been there for him as much as I should have and that has effected him in how he thinks of himself. Is there anything I can do to help reassure him and give him self confidence. As far as the special needs support groups it is not something I've looked into..and just don't know if I can make the time for it. Seth is much better off then a lot of special needs children and has potential of catching up completely and living a normal healthy life. We believe that he will with a lot of hard work and patience.

Carol Kryder LMFT :

Good. You are doing better than you think you are, you are just overwhelmed right now. Try to spend some alone time with the four year old every day. Even 10 minutes will do it. Be sure to tell him how much you love him and show him how precious he is to you by your actions. Encourage him to take risks and try new things and praise him for trying, while still letting him know that we all make mistakes and mistakes are just opportunities for learning something new.

Carol Kryder LMFT :

You can do this!!!!

Carol Kryder LMFT :

Best to you