TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

I was diagnosed with PTSD when I was 21 My mom died on the

I was diagnosed with PTSD when I was 21 My mom died on the day of my high school Grad. I was 18.. I am now 48 I built an addition on my fathers house (he left, not me) to take care of him as he had alz. I took care of him for 7 years.... Now I think I am having a breakdown, I now own the house, but at a terrible cost to creditors and I have now been rejected 3 times for any kind of home equity loan. I am on lexapro and xanax but I feel like I will never get over the anxiety and depression I feel. I have lost all hope and although I will not suicide, I keep thinking that it would be better not to just wake up one day.... I have no confidance in getting any job because I am such a basket case. My fiance of 18 years says just to get over it,

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

It sounds like from what you said that you are under enormous stress. First you dealt with the stress of your mother's passing, then caring for your father, and now dealing with financial stress. All of these are major stressors.

You said you are on medication which tells me that you have at least seen your regular doctor if not a psychiatrist. But you did not say if you are seeing a therapist. I would highly recommend that you talk with someone. This will not only help you figure out exactly what you are feeling, but it would give you much needed support that you are not getting right now from your fiance. There are low cost or free resources available. Contact your local community mental health agency to see what they can offer you.

Although you have gone through and are still going through some very major stressors, there are options you can take to improve your situation. Besides talking with a therapist, if you have a church you attend, try talking with a pastor. They can offer support and may know of community resources you can try to help with your financial problems. Having your finace join you either in therapy or with the pastor can give him support as well and he can learn ways to help you cope.

The PTSD Workbook: Simple, Effective Techniques for Overcoming Traumatic Stress Symptoms by Mary Beth Williams and Soili Poijula is another resource you can try. It may give you a start in understanding what you are feeling and help you find some ways to feel better. You can find it either at or your local library may have a copy.

Hang in there. If you can seek out help, you will gain strength to help you feel better and life will get easier.

I hope this helped,