TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

So ever since my dad passed away 2 years ago from heart failure,

So ever since my dad passed away 2 years ago from heart failure, I've been increasingly depressed. At first, I fought on, and I was so busy with college that I was able to focus on it rather than think too much about my dad. Then I graduated, moved to a new city where I got a good job, and lived by myself for a year (the first time living by myself). I become more depressed. I am not close to my former high school or college friends anymore, and it's tough making new friends. And all this loneliness has given me too much time to think about my dad and life.

My girlfriend of over three years recently left me because I'm no longer the happy, fun-loving guy I used to be. She wanted me to seek help from a psychologist, but I never did. I miss her a lot, and miss my dad a lot, and don't know what to think about where I am in life now.

Recently, my depression has gotten worse as I've been through a bout of existential angst. You could say I'm an atheist... my scientific mind has trouble fathoming an afterlife, or a God, etc. The idea of death scares me into life paralysis; I'm afraid to make the next big move, because what if it's the wrong one? I have so many options in front of me that it kind of scares me, and at the same time I'm alone and miss my dad and ex-girlfriend.

So, I guess I'm just venting, don't really have a question besides... do you have any words of wisdom?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your problem.

From what you are saying, it sounds like you had a close relationship with your dad and that his death has affected your life, including your relationship with your girlfriend.

From the symptoms you described it does sound like you are depressed. The typical symptoms of depression are: crying, decreased interest in pleasurable activities, weight changes (either loss or gain), sleep disturbances, fatigue and general feelings of helplessness or hopelessness. You may have all or just some of these symptoms. Your dad's death may have triggered the depression or made your problem with depression worse.

You mentioned that your girlfriend suggested counseling. I'm going to do the same and suggest you seek out a counselor to talk with. Depression can be helped greatly by therapy. You may also consider medication if you feel that you are having trouble functioning with everyday tasks and responsibilities.

Depression is easily treatable. With help, you can go back to feeling yourself and reconnecting with others.

I wish you the best.

Please click accept so I may receive credit for my answer. Thank you!