TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Hi I dont know if i am jumping the gun or not but I was wondering

Hi I dont know if i am jumping the gun or not but I was wondering if my 6yr old son should see a psychologist.
a few times now when we drive home he often makes comments like, I dont know why you ever had me or im goin to kill myself? I hate this world and i dont want to go to school or afterschool and It hurts me so much to hear this as I cant understand where its coming from. He cries and seems frustrated. I of course talk with him and ask questions and make comments on what he said and after we stop at the shop he forgets about it and is just fine again. I am a single parent and my had is smothered with love and affection and hugs galore. He has everything he needs and more. His dad is in his life but is a chronic alcoholic and I am wondering if my son heard his dad mention killing himself once before when he might have been on loude speaker on the phone in my car?
When his daddy is sober he is an absolute gentleman and so so kind hearted and loving and affectionate.
Does my son need to see a psychologist?
Just a concerned mommy?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Hello. I'd like to help you with your question.

At your son's age, he is too young to be expressing these types of thoughts and feelings. Because of this, it is possible that your son might be modeling behavior he has seen somewhere, either from his father or somewhere else.

Because your son's role model is his father and there is some difficulty there with the alcohol use, your son may be reacting to what he sees in the only way he understands at this point in his development.

I highly recommend that you have your son seen asap by his doctor and a referral made to a psychologist for an evaluation. Although your son could just be repeating what he has heard, any type of threats to harm himself or others should be taken very seriously and evaluated by a professional to rule out any psychological causes.

All my best to you,

Please click accept so I may receive credit for my advice. Thank you!