Lori Gephart
Lori Gephart, Licensed Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist and Hypnotherapist 20 years of experience helping clients of all ages.

i was doing fine and then i tried to dye my hair blonde and

i was doing fine and then i tried to dye my hair blonde and it fried it to the point where it started coming out in chunks, so i started pulling it out, and now i can't stop. i was watching a movie last night and unknowingly was pulling out in my fringe area, and when i went to go to bed i looked in the mirror and was horrifed to see that i have a huge bald spot on the front of my head, i can barely even hide it because my hair is short anyways and i literally bawled i was so upset, i don't know what to do because i keep going to pull it out and i know i shouldn't but i can't stop and i know its just going to get worse, can i get it to grow back fast? i'm so scared of what my friends or boyfriend will say if they see it...
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Lori Gephart replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.

I am sorry to hear about the problems that you are experiencing. The disorder you are describing sounds like an impulse control disorder known as Trichotillomania in which the individual has irresistible urges to pull hair from anywhere on the body including scalp, eyelashes, eyebrows or other places. The behavior of hair pulling generally relieves tension, even though the individual generally is aware that it is causing harm to them. Treatment typically involves therapy including habit reversal training, often combined with medication, typically antidepressants (SSRIs). I would certainly encourage you to seek treatment with a psychologist and psychiatrist who can help you with this issue. You may find the following link helpful:

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if I can clarify further.