Lori Gephart
Lori Gephart, Licensed Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist and Hypnotherapist 20 years of experience helping clients of all ages.
45699345

i have insomnia. i get it a few times a week. please help

i have insomnia. i get it a few times a week. please help.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Lori Gephart replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.

I am sorry to hear about the problems you are experiencing with your sleep.

Sleep is an essential, yet often elusive part of everyday life. Too much or too little sleep can have serious consequences on health, happiness, relationships, work productivity and overall functioning. The ability to get to sleep, stay asleep and awaken rested and refreshed when it is time to get up is something that we all count on until it eludes us.

Sleep is an essential and necessary part of life. It is as crucial to our health as air, water and food. Sleep is needed in order to help maintain mood, memory and cognitive functioning. During sleep your brain consolidates the day's learning into memory and helps to regulate and improve learning, mood and the ability to concentrate.

Sleep also repairs and reenergizes the body. During sleep the body repairs itself. Cells increase the production of proteins that are needed for cell growth and the repair of damage done by stress of all kinds. Sleep aids in the normal function of the endocrine and immunes ystems. An appropriate amount and quality of sleep may even help you to avoid such health problems as obesity, diabetes, hypertension and depression. During sleep the body secretes hormones that aid in growth, regulate energy, and control metabolism and endocrine functioning.

You can use the following steps to improve your sleep:

1. Develop a regular bedtime routine

2. Go to bed and get up at the same time each day

3. Create a restful environment in the bedroom (cool, quiet, dark room with no eating, reading or watching television in bed)

4. Avoid exercise and eating within several hours before bed

5. Avoid caffeine, tobacco, alcohol and drugs

6. Lose weight to a healthy weight

7. Spend some time each day outside in the daylight (with sunscreen)

8. Try to avoid reliance on sleep medications

9. Keep paper and pen by the bed to jot down thoughts that run through your head (writing them down allows the mind to relax)

10. Practice relaxation, meditation, visualization and deep breathing

I hope this answer is helpful. Please let me know if I can clarify further.