Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's
48585111

Dear Sir/Madam I learned that my boyfriend wants to crossdress and bought himself a ski

Dear Sir/Madam

I learned that my boyfriend wants to crossdress and bought himself a skirt and pentyhose. I was shocked and i still can't get over it. I try to accept and I know it s not dangerous or anything but I dont feel myself safe with him. He has the sympthoms for Transvestic Fetishism. I want him to have professional help. How can i convince him for help? and if he still doesn't want any help,what might happen if i cant learn to accept this behaviour,too? For the last six months i couldn't.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Bill replied 6 years ago.

Bill :

Hello- I see that you are offline and I will respond to your question and you can reply if you wish.

Bill :

People that are transvestite are not mentally ill. Rather, they have a fetish for dressing and/or behaving as a women for a number of reasons. What is important for you is to learn as much as you can about transvestites and then come to some understanding within yourself as to whether you can tolerate the behavior in your life. Some people can and some cannot. It is a very individualized issue.

Bill :

I am going to give you a couple of links to help understand this from your boyfriends perspective and also from those who are in relationships with transvestites.

Bill :

I hope this helps you address and deal with this issue. Please reply if you have questions.

Bill :

Bill

Expert:  Bill replied 6 years ago.
You were offline and I have responded above.
I wish you the best, XXXXX XXXXX to ask questions.
Best, Bill
Please Click Accept
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I think fetishes are not normal that's why i think transvesticism is an mental illness or at least a disorder. I already searched for it on wiki and i read experiences of other people who are dating with crossdressers. so is it me who needs professional help and try to accept him?
Expert:  Bill replied 6 years ago.
Hi- It is only a considered a mental disorder if it has negative emotional impact on the individual which I don't see in your writing. Therefore, if it is something he enjoys, it is true that you have to come to accept this as it is unlikely that he is going to change.
I trust that I have answered your question but if you have additional comment, please reply.
Bill