Luann, Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist, 24 years experience working with children, adolescents, families and adults.

I have Bipolar II and just had a hypomanic period. Now however

I have Bipolar II and just had a hypomanic period. Now however I am feeling very confused, very annoyed at spending $3000 I don't have, and extremely upset by it all. I feel like hitting something. In the past I have slashed my arms with razor blades but am trying to keep that under control at present. I am a 56 year old female who should be able to control herself and moods a lot better. I am on medication but at present I don't know if I am coming or going. I tried phoning my sister, but she's not home, so decided to send this note to 'someone' who can say something, don't know what. E.

It's been too long to wait for a quick answer, so I am logging out now. I can't cope with waiting any longer. Don't know what I wanted from this as I'm too confused to think.

Luann :

Luann :

I really commend you for reaching out. I strongly encourage you to contact the doctor who is prescribing your medications. Talk to this person's nurse if you are not able to talk to them directly. Tell them the symptoms you are having. You need more intensive care and maybe a medication adjustment. I recommend that you work with a therapist to attain better mood management. At this point a partial hospitalization program or day treatment program may be the most helpful until your mood is stabilized. Ask your doctor or nurse about such programs.

Customer :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX a bit better now I've had some sleep. However, I've only had 3 hours sleep. My brain is rather foggy. I'll phone my psychiatrist today and discuss with her. Night time is always the worst, especially if I can't sleep properly. Thanks for the advice I can use it for discussion. At least I managed to get through the night without harming myself which is more than I have done other times. I still feel like hitting something but your reply has helped.

Luann :

You should feel very good about getting through the night without hurting yourself. That is great progress! Work on your sleep routines so you are getting into the habit of sleeping at night, not during the day. I hope you continue to get better!