Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
46062601

Are there any more good psychiatric hospitals

Are there any more good psychiatric hospitals?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 3 years ago.
Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. Which state do you live in ?

Edited by Dr. Olsen on 12/2/2010 at 5:53 AM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I live in Georgia. I went to Focus by the Sea near Brunswick a few years ago but had to leave because it was terrible. Another patient was harrassing me and the staff could not keep him away from me.
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 3 years ago.

Hi, If you are looking for a best psychiatric hospital in Georgia,

Emory University Hospital (Atlanta, GA) is the best one. See the link (http://www.emoryhealthcare.org/emory-university-hospital-atlanta/index.html) for details.

Please let me know if you want to know more hospitals in different states or you have more questions. Warm regards,
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience: PsyD Psychologist
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What I'm looking for is someplace like Timberlawn was in '81. I just read a book, "When Joy Came to Stay", where the main character simply could no longer live with her self so she checked into "Orchards", a psychiatric hospital with a Christian focus. She received intensive therapy (instead of warehousing) with a focus on honesty with herself, others, and God. She went to "group" when she was ready where everyone helped and prayed with each other. I was hoping it was based on a real place. It wasn't. I was holding it together sort of until our daughter's therapist told me I needed to stop yelling. That was the coping mechanism that kept me present. My family needs me fully engaged. Years of weekly therapy have not helped and I'm not going to be able to do that any more. Our income will be reduced considerably after the first of the year and there just is no longer $80 a month for the co pay for therapy. Through a quirk in our insurance an inpatient stay is a flat $200. It's pretty much an urgent matter. I'm convinced I was followed home and assaulted. My doctor feels that I dissociated, hurt myself and imagined an attacker to explain the injuries.
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 3 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your response. It sounds like you may need a good inpatient facility in your area.
You can call The United Way toll free # XXXXX to find the community mental health centers in your area where you can get treatment even without health insurance and for a low fee. Please feel free to continue discussion if you want. Warm regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I would have just let this go but I got an email from Just Answer today making sure I had followed up with you. At my request my internist reffered me to Emory. The intake officer called to do a telephone interview during which he explained they also only do crisis management and since I was responding rationally and did not appear to be in immediate danger I did not meet the criteria and sure just stay where I am.
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 3 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your response. Let me do some research. Please wait.
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 3 years ago.
Hi, so can you get treatment at the Emory University Hospital?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
NO, I don't meet the criteria. I am frantically looking for work so I can pay my therapist here. When I come up with the means to pay him I can resume treatment. You do not need to respond.