cathy, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  MS., MS.Ed., 30 years clinical and administrative experience in psychiatry and mental health

Im planning on getting pregnant but I was on 200mg of lamictal

Customer Question

I'm planning on getting pregnant but I was on 200mg of lamictal for bipolar up until 11/1/10 and have been using medical marijuana to control my anxiety since I have stopped both I feel like a completely different person. I'm getting upset over little things that normally I would brush off in the past and my husband and I are a little arguing and treating each other differently I think, he just thinks I have become more uptight. Which is accurate I guess what I'm asking is their a safe med to replace my lamictal and marijuana for my bipolar disorder and anxiety panic disorder. Also he is still smoking once in a while for pain twice a day because he has to work, he broke his back at 15 and would rather go organic than take oxy or pain meds. Will that effect the unborn baby? of course he will be doing it in the garage so I mean will it effect the baby before it's conceived? Thanks!
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  cathy replied 5 years ago.

Hi JA customer and thanks for writing.

I would like very much to help you on this. You are very concerned about what problems your marijuana use might cause for your unborn child but you are not at all concerned about your bi polar disorder?

Is this a stigma question?

Is it your concern because marijuana is an illegal drug? I wonder what your thinking is on this? Please help us to help you further by explaining this?

Much luck and warmest regards,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Um no I would say I am more concerned about the bipolar disorder but are you trying to say I shouldn't have kids??
Expert:  cathy replied 5 years ago.

Not at all. I know that this is a decision you would have clearly thought out over a very long time before choosing as you have. I think what confused me is the marijuana issue.

No there is no medication that you can safely take for the first trimester or while you are trying to conceive. If you are able to reach second trimester without having any psychotic breaks and if you can remain out of the hospital and in the community then you can begin to take some medicines but nothing that is not doctor prescribed. So no marijuana unless you have a prescription for it. Marijuana is fairly benign given most drugs but if you are found to have thc in your system you can invite the Department of Children and Families into your life and that is not something you wish to do at all. So no meds, no marijuana without a prescription after the first trimester.

I hope I have understood you better on this. Good Luck to you.!

Edited by cathy on 12/2/2010 at 2:45 PM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you very much and yes I was using the marijuana for medical purposes only. I fell very ill with a parasite 2 years ago and it help me gain weight and feel well enough to work so that is why I have my oregon card but I will not be using my meds or marijuana during the pregnancy. Thanks for all your help. Do you know if there is a percentage for the chance that the baby will be born bipolar?
Expert:  cathy replied 5 years ago.
Hi, glad I could help.

Without knowing your family history and without knowing what type of Bi Polar Disorder you have it would not be possible for me to give you any statistics on this. I believe that having a child is a very personal and unique decision that each of us must make whether we have bi polar disorder or not, so what ever the statistical chances it is ultimately up to you.

Let me know if this helps?
Best wishes