Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Experience:  PsyD, LPC, CHt

I have been under a doctors care for seventeen years, I suffer

Customer Question

I have been under a doctors care for seventeen years, I suffer from panic attacks, anxiety, worry and ocd. I have been taking 60 mg. of paxil a day and .50 mg of xanax 1 to 3 x a day. Now my doctor wants me to go down to 1/2 or 1 dose of .50 mg of xanax a day. I am truly having trouble doing so, I feel all the anxiety, fears, worries and ocd issues are returning. I am 61 years old and have not felt this way for about 5 years. What should I do to rid myself of these horrible feelings.

Thank you
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 5 years ago.

Are you concerned about having to take the medication or did you want to explore other treatment options hence your question?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No, I am not concerned about taking medication, I just do not understand why my doctor wants me to cut down on my medication and I have been trying to do so, however all my anxiety, worries, fears and ocd has returned since I am taking less medication. I am asking with all my problems back why he is trying to cut down my medication, is the proper procedure? and if there is another type new medication out now that would help me with my disorders.

Thank you

Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 5 years ago.

Only he knows why he had advised you to cut down on the medication (generally the doc discusses their motive with the client) It is quite possible that he is considering another medication in a different class. Xanax is highly addictive and there had been some controversies about Paxil. Some other medications could be Cymbalta which was approved by the FDA for anxiety and depression.

He may be looking at other medications that are not in the benzodiazepines class. It is not clear if it had been the same doctor prescribing the medication all along or you've seen others. You may be having benzo withdrawals and something called serotonin withdrawal. Hence, it would be very important to know the prescribing doc of your symptoms and difficulties that you're experiencing. Once it is ruled out that your symtoms are physiologicaly triggered due to the decrease in the medication, you may resort to counseling or even hypnotherapy to manage the psychological/emotional issues.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was hoping for better advice. I appreciate your time. thank you
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 5 years ago.
I can not guess what you need. This is an on line service and if you were seeking an intervention, I am sorry it is not what you got. BotXXXXX XXXXXne is, your symptoms need to be addressed by your doc as they are most likely withdrawal symptoms. For psych management, you may consult with your counselor as counseling is not offered on this site. You are still going to be in charge of doing what needs to be done from confronting your doctor to contacting a counselor or a hypnotherapist. If you chose to resort to self help tools such as meditation, exercise, deep breathing, subliminal tapes and hypnosis, that is all within your control as well.

Edited by Dr. Rossi on 12/1/2010 at 8:21 PM EST