Karyn Jones
Karyn Jones, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Diploma of Counselling and Transactional Analysis Counselling, Lifeline counselling, Pastoral Care.

Hello.My son has a mental block towards eating.He is 5 years

Customer Question

Hello.My son has a mental block towards eating.He is 5 years old and will not eat anything apart from baby hot cereal in the morning and 1 piece of plain toast in the evening.He has never had a hot meal in his life.He refuses any kind of hot food and has never had any kind of fruit or veg.I have tried everything.He thinks that hot food is 'yucky' and refuses to even try anything. Can you suggest anything ? thankyou.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Karyn Jones replied 3 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for bringing your concerns to Just Answer...with regards XXXXX XXXXX little boys eating problem..this can be very distressing for you and your boy..not an easy road to be on..
He might well have experienced at some point in time a burn to his mouth ( if he has tried eating hot food in the past) and this might well have caused the mental block...because perhaps he thinks on a more subconscious level that it might happen again...
Children this age have no real way of expressing their feelings or concerns and tend to choose words like yucky, which to him means don't go near that hot food it can hurt you..
This is only my surmising of course..The other thing you could try to combat this problem is..to invest in a juicing machine such as a 'Juiceman' and make very' tasty healthy drinks with it using all kinds of fresh fruits and veggies. You might not think that carrot, apple, spinach, celery, and parsley juice (for instance) sounds appetizing, but that’s because all the bottled juice you buy in the stores (like V-8 or SoBee) have half their natural sweetness killed off by being boiled and pasteurized and mixed with preservatives...so this would help to at least get the healthy food down him..even if its cold, he's still getting the goodness out of it..
Perhaps you could also get him to help you juice it ..this will also help him overcome this barrier. .and tell him drinking or eating xxxxxxxxthis will give him super powers or something similar to that.

2. Make eating fun! find creative recipes occasionally..different shapes/colours.etc I found a recipe that was built like a boat, but was made of healthy things and my son loved it back then...carrots, apples,celery..etc..you would be worn out if you did it all the time ..but just occasionally is good..

I hope this has been of help to you if it has then please 'accept' my response as it does keep this valuable service going for you and others in the past...and I wish you every success..
Best Wishes
Karyn