Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist

SAD in the winter, and postpartum depression last year after

SAD in the winter, and postpartum depression last year after my son was born in october. postpartum depression ended after 8-9 months, andsad starting again this winter
Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am sorry to hear your situation. Let me ask you a question before I offer an answer. Do you have any medical condition?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
vitamin d defininecy, sorry i can't spell
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
st john's wart isn't working as well now, zoloft and cymbalta i couldn't sleep with
Hi, I can imagine how worried and anxious you must have been about your condition at times. It sounds like you have had depression in the past - seasonal affective disorder and postpartum depression. Now you may be suffering from depression again.

Depression is a state of disease that affects body and mind. Depression can disrupt the nerve impulses that carry a constant stream of orders from the brain to the muscles. When the depressed brain slows down, so do the signals to all parts of body. Depression affects memory, problem-solving ability, language, perception and is accompanied by nervous tension, anxiety, and profound fatigue.
Medical reasons for Depression may include thyroid hormone abnormality, Vitamin B12 Deficiency, Chronic pain, Stroke (Brain injury), Alzheimer’s disease, other medical problems such as kidneys, heart, lung, epilepsy, migraine headaches, brain injury. Malnutrition/brain damage can dull mood further. Excessive alcohol use may aggravate depression and cause Psychosis. Some medication can cause or contribute to depression. Your doctor should know all the medication that she is taking.
First of all, you may try some or all of the following to improve your mood - 1. Exercise moderately, but regularly, 2. Eat healthy but delicious meals, 3. Regularize your sleep cycle, 4. Don't drink to excess or abuse drugs, 5. Spend some time every day in play, 6. Develop recreational outlets that encourage creativity, 7. Distance yourself from destructive situations or people, 8. Practice mindfulness meditation, or walk, or an intimate talk, every day, 9. Allow yourself to feel pride in your accomplishments, 10, Listen to compliments and expression of affection, 11. Build and use a support system, 12. Pay more attention to small pleasures and sensations, 13. Challenge yourself, 14. Avoid unstructured time, 15. Practice good personal hygiene, 16. Avoid depressed self-absorption, 17. Cultivate your sense of humor. Also, yoga, meditation, Acupuncture, Guided imagery, and massage therapy may help.
If depressive feelings persist for more than two weeks, I advise you to see a counselor to express and process your feelings and thoughts weekly. You may meed to see a psychiatrist or your primary care physician for medication if your condition is severe. A combination of psychotherapy and pharmacotherapy are considered to be effective to treat Depression.

You may benefit from seeing a therapist who specializes in Cognitive-Behavior therapy (CBT) to work on depression.
If you are open to counseling,
You can search a licensed psychologist on internet- such as the PSYCHOLOGY TODAY website. Go to ( and enter your zip code and optional category of specialty as depression. Read psychotherapists’ profile to see if he or she specializes in Cognitive-behavior therapy. You may also want to create your mental image of psychotherapist that you want to work with – Male or female? Old or young? To note, many therapists offer initial consultation for free. So you can see it as an informational meeting. You can ask any question and negotiate psychotherapy fee.
Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards,