Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Experience:  PsyD, LPC, CHt
19260254

do you feel phrases like the frayed ends of sanity ; tipped

do you feel phrases like "the frayed ends of sanity"; "tipped over the edge" and "driven round the bend" can all be applied to psychoses?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 4 years ago.

your question is seeking a subjective view :one's "feelings"/reaction to these terms. They do not have to apply to psychosis which would be marked mostly by hallucinations/delusions. The terms can apply to someone having a difficult time coping with something either situation such as death of family member, loss of job, terminal illness, etc. as well as coping with depression, anxiety and multiple stressors. The terms can also apply to someone who is not able to effectively deal with triggers such as how they display anger or behave towards others when angry/frustrated. It is not necessary for someone to suffer from psychosis or any mood/mental illness to display poor judgment hence, become tipped over the edge or like we say in the US "fly off the handle" Crimes of passion, mob mentality, etc can all be considered in that category.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi

My psychiatrist thinks that stress can cause psychoses and I was wondering if these terms might contain some insight here?
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 4 years ago.
Stress can lead someone to have difficulty managing their mood/behavior, and can lead to becoming depressed. In severe untreated depression, psychotic episodes may manifest. But, the issue is whether or not there is evidence of psychosis at the moment. The terms can be speculations that without changes or treatment you can regress and not be fully suggesting that you should become psychotic. If the stress levle is managed and if there is in fact the possibility of mood/anxiety disorders, as long as they are managed with medication and therapy, psychosis may not occur. The doc should be able to diagnose if there is psychosis. Some individual under stress experience depersanalization but that does not meet criteria for psychosis in the full clinical sense.
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Experience: PsyD, LPC, CHt