Luann
Luann, Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist, 24 years experience working with children, adolescents, families and adults.
50737979

Hey I dont know why but recently i have been feeling down

Hey
I dont know why but recently i have been feeling down for no reason thaat i can think off. I sleep until about mid day yet wake up still tired. I have very little motivation to do anything in life. I have a family who loves me and tries to help (they just want me to be happy) yet im being short fused with them and im taking it out on them which i feel really bad for after. I have tried reading books but they just appear as words to me and have no meaning in the sentences. I really want to be happy again and i know my parents want that for me too but i just dont know how. Im from England living in Australia and the last time i was happy was when i was back in England but i cant live there because that would mean i would leave my family behind which i couldnt do. I sometimes reallystruggle seeing things from another point of view which is making it hard to try and find happiness. Im 21 i shouldnt feel like this should i?

Luann :

Hello

Luann :

Sorry to hear you are feeling so down. The symptoms you are describing are classic symptoms of depression. It could be that the transition from England to Australia triggered these symptoms.

JACUSTOMER-adzv64ck- :

Hey

Luann :

Often times major life events, such as a significant move can trigger an episode of depression. I strongly encourage you to see a counselor or therapist to more thoroughly assess your symptoms.

JACUSTOMER-adzv64ck- :

It comes and goes and i have lived here for 3 years now

JACUSTOMER-adzv64ck- :

They charge so much though i would love to be able to sit and talk to some one in person on a regular basis but it just isnt realistic

JACUSTOMER-adzv64ck- :

im not suicidal or anything, i just feel a bit a bit demotivaated

Luann :

Do not minimize your symptoms. Symptoms of depression can come and go, but are no less impactful on your life. Are you using any mood altering substances like marijuana or alcohol?

JACUSTOMER-adzv64ck- :

i do drink on the weekends but dont go near drugs

JACUSTOMER-adzv64ck- :

i dont drink over the top most of the time

Luann :

Good, that would only add to the problem.

JACUSTOMER-adzv64ck- :

is being bored of life (same routine every day) a sign of depression? if so how is depression treated?

JACUSTOMER-adzv64ck- :

also will it stay on my record i have had a mentle problem

Luann :

Boredom can add to depression, usually depression creates boredom because you don't have the energy/motivation to do things that would make your life interesting. At minimum I recommend that you see your general doctor to discuss medication. Medication would help manage the symptoms so you could do the things that will help make you feel better.

Luann :

I am not sure what you mean by record, but if you seek counseling those records are confidential and can only be released with your permission. I would not worry about that. Seeking treatment is typically seen as a good thing trather than leaving a condition untreated.

Luann :

Depression is most effectively treated with counseling and medication. I encourage you to seek counseling first but like I said before if you are reluctant to do that, at least see your doctor about medication.

JACUSTOMER-adzv64ck- :

i do want help but i also feel i dont know the word but i guess stuborn. People can tell me something but i wont always believe it. Is depression with someone for good? will i be required to have counciling/medication forever? as once i got this area of my life in control i was hoping to join the navy

JACUSTOMER-adzv64ck- :

I guess also that if i speak with someone about my problems i may be a bit scared of what they have to say. they could diagnose me with something horrible

Luann :

Many people have one episode of depression and once treated do not experience any other episodes. Some people have recurring episodes of depression. At this point that can not be determined with you. However, the longer you go without treating your depression, the harder it will be to treat it, so the sooner you seek help the better. If you disagree with the counselor's evaluation, voice that concern, you have rights in therapy and your opinion is important.

JACUSTOMER-adzv64ck- :

So you think my next step would be to go to the doctor talk to him about this and take it from there?

JACUSTOMER-adzv64ck- :

or straight into therapy

Luann :

I would recommend therapy first. Get an accurate diagnosis. If medication seems indicated, your therapist will tell you that.

JACUSTOMER-adzv64ck- :

How would be the best way to go about finding the appropiate person

JACUSTOMER-adzv64ck- :

also my hands have comeup with a big red scaley rash, can this be assosiated with depression or something completely unrelated

Luann :

The rash may be related to stress/anxiety or could be something totally different.

JACUSTOMER-adzv64ck- :

and stress/anxiety goes hand in hand with depression?

Luann :

It can, but the rash could be totally unrelated too. To find a therapist, look on-line, many clinics have websites which describe their services and list staff. Call a community mental health center, the intake person is usually trained to match callers with their staff. Make an appointment, meet with the person several times before you decide if they are a good fit for you or not. Keep an open mind and give it a try.

JACUSTOMER-adzv64ck- :

Ok thankyou very much for your time today

Luann :

Wishing all the best!