Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's
48585111

How do I deal with the loss of my mother, my best friend

How do I deal with the loss of my mother, my best friend? I was her caregiver and she passed away 5 days. She was 80 and died peacefully but of course I want her back. We talked 3 or
4 times a day and visited twice a week.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Bill replied 6 years ago.

Bill :

Hello- I am sorry to hear about the loss of your mother. Grief is a process that is something that you have to embrace and understand as a normal part of living. If you avoid this process, you can become depressed and have other complication. You need to understand that it is ok that express your emotions about the loss, it is important to have others who understand and can be supportive when you want to talk about the loss. Many find comfort in finding others that have experienced similar losses and have gone through the process of grieving. This can be accomplished through social, familial or religious contacts. Many find comfort in attending support groups for people who have experienced the death of a loved one.

Bill :

Continue to take walks as it will help you in the grieving process and is also great for your physical and mental well being.

Bill :

The following link: http://www.griefshare.org/ has an abundance of information related to the process of grieving and also has a list of support groups. There are also online support groups that may be helpful.

Bill :

Realize that this is going to take time and allow the grief for the loss to flow out. It is normal and healthy and the process we all face at some point in life.

Bill :

I wish you comfort and peace.

Bill :

Bill

Expert:  Bill replied 6 years ago.
Since you were off line, I have answered your question above. Feel free to reply if necessary.
Otherwise, I wish you peace and comfort.
Bill

Please Click Accept