Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist

Are there degrees of severity with Borderline Personality disorder

Customer Question

Are there degrees of severity with Borderline Personality disorder and can you have some symptoms because of being raised by and with people with BPD? I am pretty sure my brother and father have it.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Hello & Welcome to JustAnswer. I am sorry to hear your family situation. Borderline Personality disorder is emotional regulation problems. BPD is a pervasive pattern of instability in interpersonal relationships, self-image, affect, and marked impulsivity. A person with BPD is intensely fearful of abandonment and may engage in impulsive and extreme behaviors to keep other people with them. Disturbances in self-image are often manifested as frequent shifts in career goals and sexual identity, while impulsivity is reflected in unsafe sex practices, reckless driving, financial irresponsibility, and substance abuse. Does this fit your brother and father? If they abuses or depend on alcohol and/or drugs, their BPD condition may be worse. If you grow up with family members of BPD, you may likely to suffer from anxiety and depression since their behavior may negatively affect you. Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards,