Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist

Can a childhood trauma precipetate the onset of bipolar disorder

Can a childhood trauma precipetate the onset of bipolar disorder in someone as young as 7 or 8?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Hello & Welcome to JustAnswer.
Bipolar disorder is a brain disorder characterized by dysregulation of mood, attention, energy, sleep, appetite and libido. In children of age 7 or 8, bipolar disorder manifests in irritable mood, rage and ADHD. A childhood trauma may trigger Bi-polar disorder. Please let me know if I have overlooked any or you have more questions.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If a similar trauma, occuring 7 yrs ago, has caused ptsd and symptoms of bipolar to worsen, after 5 yrs of medication and therapy have not helped then what next? I realize I will never be the person I was but the sometimes emotional stability of a 14 yr old makes me feel as if I have gone backwards. I guess my question is am I expecting too much too soon or is this as good as it gets?
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Hi Thanks for your response. Let me work on my answer. Please wait.
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your reply. Let me say I can imagine how sad, anxious and worried you must have been about this situation. It sounds like you may have experienced some trauma seven years ago. Are you being treated for PTSD and Bipolar symptoms?
Yes, you may need to stick to treatment for many years sometimes.
For bipolar condition, you may need to work with psychiatrist (M.D.) and psychotherapist. Treatment for bipolar disorder consists of pharmacotherapy (by psychiatrist), individual psychotherapy (Cognitive-behavior therapy - CBT) or Interpersonal therapy (ITP) by a licensed psychologist or psychotherapist), and group therapy or support group by a psychotherapist. Pharmacotherapy is a critical aspect of treatment. Medication for Bipolar disorder includes a mood stabilizer such as Lithium. For people who do not respond to Lithium or who have rapid cycling or dysphoric mania, (prominent anxiety and depressed mood), an anti-seizure drug such as carbamazepine or divalproex sodium may be effective. Individual psychotherapy will help him for support, ventilation of feelings, coping skills training, and direct advice. Group therapy is useful for you to address the issues – adherence to medication and therapy, regulation of self-esteem, and management of other psychosocial issues.
Please feel free to ask me any question. Warm regards,