Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist

Hello, I think I have a form of social anxiety in a very bad

Customer Question

Hello, I think I have a form of social anxiety in a very bad degree, I even think of suicide. I can not stand it anymore. I cannot make other people around me feel awkwardly, and I cannot feel fear when I come into contact with other people. I was smoking cannabis for 1.5 years but I stopped smoking before 3 years. I don't know if that's the reason I feel that way, but before that I was a very social person and now I am the complete opposite. I tried to overcome these by myself, 3 years now, but the problem has not yet disappeared. I am connecting things with my mind, for example (excuse me for that) If I masturbate then for 1-2 days I feel very bad, so I try not to do it very often to be in a good mood. Whenever I confront people I try to think what my next step should be and I cannot be myself. I am really tired of this. My mood is never stable and I want to be as I used to be before. I am desperate, I don't know what my next step will be. What can I do?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am sorry to hear your situation.
It sounds like you may have social anxiety and signs of depression. Excess use of any drug may cause anxiety, depression and psychosis over time. You may need to see your primary care physician for a physical check-up to detect and rule out any medical condition that may cause your mood symptoms.

You also may try some or all of the following to improve your mood - 1. Exercise moderately, but regularly, 2. Eat healthy but delicious meals, 3. Regularize your sleep cycle, 4. Don't drink to excess or abuse drugs, 5. Spend some time every day in play, 6. Develop recreational outlets that encourage creativity, 7. Distance yourself from destructive situations or people, 8. Practice mindfulness meditation, or walk, or an intimate talk, every day, 9. Allow yourself to feel pride in your accomplishments, 10, Listen to compliments and expression of affection, 11. Build and use a support system, 12. Pay more attention to small pleasures and sensations, 13. Challenge yourself, 14. Avoid unstructured time, 15. Practice good personal hygiene, 16. Avoid depressed self-absorption, 17. Cultivate your sense of humor. Also, yoga, meditation, Acupuncture, Guided imagery, and massage therapy may help.

Additionally, you may benefit from seeing a therapist who specializes in Cognitive-Behavior therapy (CBT) to work on social anxiety.
The book "MIND OVER MOOD by Dr. Greenberger and Padesky" may be helpful to understand the connection between your thoughts, feelings (Anxiety) and behavior (action). I hope you get well. Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
These are all very good, but I am not a person that could get into a program and do these things. I am a bit desperate because its 3 years now that I am having this problem and I am looking for some more immediate solution (e.g. if medication can help me).
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your reply.

Several types of medications are used to treat social anxiety disorder. Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) are generally considered the safest and effective treatment for symptoms of social anxiety:
Sertraline (Zoloft),
Fluoxetine (Prozac, others).
Other medication used for social anxiety may include:
Other antidepressants,
Anti-anxiety medications like benzodiazepines,
Beta blockers.
To reduce the risk of side effects, your doctor will start you at a low dose of medication and gradually increase your prescription to a full dose. It may take up to three months of treatment for your symptoms to improve.
Please meet your primary care doctor or a psychiatrist for medication evaluation and prescription.
Please let me know if you have a question. Warm regards,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can I try any medication which is available without prescription?
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Hi, You may have to see your doctor (GP or a psychiatrist) for medication prescription. Certain supplements may help relieve anxiety, although it isn't clear how much they help or what possible side effects they might have. Some supplements like
B vitamins are used to treat anxiety.
Talk to your physician before taking supplements to make sure they're safe for you.