Mina, Clinical Psychologist
Experience:  Working as a Highly Specialist Clinical Psychologist in NHS. Experience in both children and adults

my young boy, age 5.5years is very emotional, is overly dramatic

my young boy, age 5.5years is very emotional, is overly dramatic ignores commands even when repeted, has extreme nightmres which he cannot remember at all the next day he lso sleep walks during his nightmares.
he feels negleted even though he is not, he cannot sit still, he rearly manages to sit and consentrate on a game or book.
and has alot of tantrums.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Mina replied 5 years ago.

I am sorry to hear about your son's difficulties. Some of these descriptions you gave fit the profile of the diagnosis of ADHD (Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity Disorder), especially his lack of concentration and hyperactivity, having difficulty sitting quiet. Many times children remain undiagnosed and parents can attribute their behavior to character, personality or bad manners. This may lead to friction and later one create vicious circles and affecting the child's self esteem.

I would therefore suggest that you spoke to his GP and mention all his symptoms and difficulties. I would also suggest that you spoke to his teachers to see how he behaves there and whether he demonstrates and behavioural problems. Either the school or the GP could refer him to CAMHS (community mental heath team) for a proper assessment for ADHD, usually performed by psychiatrists. They would also assess medical history, developmental and family history, if there have been any recent changes in the family or school, etc. If they feel that he does present with this disorder, they would be able to help you with some behavioural management techniques and they may prescribe some medication if needed. ADHD can be managed and the difficulties can be minimized with the proper treatment.

I hope this helps

All the best

Edited by Mina on 11/24/2010 at 9:18 PM EST