Mina
Mina, Clinical Psychologist
Experience:  Working as a Highly Specialist Clinical Psychologist in NHS. Experience in both children and adults

I have been diagnosed with stress, anxiety and depression which

I have been diagnosed with stress, anxiety and depression which I know sort of all come under the same umbrella. I am on citalopram (20mg)
Lately I've been crying a lot more than usual. Using alcohol to 'numb'
and am considering suicide more often. If I had had a sharp object near me today I would have began to cut myself (although I'm not sure what this would achieve).
All I can think is that I want to die.
What should I do?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Mina replied 3 years ago.

I am very sorry to hear about the way you feel. It sound like you are in despair. You did well reaching out and contacting us.

Let me ask you a few questions first. How long have you been feeling like this? are you under a mental health team at the moment?who prescribed your medication? regarding the counseling sessions you had a yr ago, what happened and stopped and who did you have them with (what team)? Have you ever harmed yourself or attempted suicide?Do you have any support network around you, family, friends, partner?what are your living and working circumstances?

Some more information would allow me to have a better understanding of the situation.

thank you

Mina

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have officially been diagnosed for a year, but may have been suffering for over 2years.
I just see me GP every few months to repeat my prescription. My GP prescribed the medication.
I did not feel the counselling sessions were effective. They felt like a waste of time.
I have never harmed myself or attempted suicide, but this is simply because I would feel this to be a selfish act. It would be unfair to my family and friends. I live with my parents and 2 younger sisters and have a rather large family outside of my home, and a handful of close friends.
I am a student with a part time job.
Expert:  Mina replied 3 years ago.

ok. So you have a lot of protective factors such as close nit family and supportive friends, working and studying. However, you seem to be resistant to deal with your issues and this is likely why you did not persist with the counseling. It is also possible that you did not feel that you could connect with the counselor for some reason. However, therapy is the only way forward for you. Your mental health condition indicates that there are many significant issues that you are dealing with and you need to address them with the support of a professional who would help you explore and understand what is happening for you. You could ask your GP to refer you to your local mental health and see if they can offer you a set of therapy sessions. However, if they do not accept your referral, your GP can refer you for further counseling. You need to be honest with him/her about your feelings and thoughts of harming yourself so they can assess the seriousness of your condition. If you feel that you would like to be seen privately, then there is always the option of looking up for a therapist close to you that works privately.

I would definitely advise you to reconsider the option of therapy as this will help you understand your self better and make the necessary changes to improve your life. Feel free to ask for your parent's emotional and financial support for this issue if possible, as seeking therapy is a very valid goal when it is needed.

Hope this helps

All the best

Mina

Mina, Clinical Psychologist
Experience: Working as a Highly Specialist Clinical Psychologist in NHS. Experience in both children and adults