Ask Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH Your Ow...

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH, Therapist
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience as a substance abuse therapist. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker
25692555

Can you help us We want to get our son back on his med.

Can you help us? We want to get our son back on his med. He's 24 and we must use some sort of method to convince him to take the Litium that's been perscribed. And can we get him to stop using Marijuana when it calms him down and makes him not care about all the pain and disfunction in his life. He's in an addictive cycle that is self supporting. He's agreed to go to a doctor of his choice who will not try to take the Marijuana away. The doctors we'd sent him too when he was more willing to find out if he had a problem, he says he will only return to if they will reverse the diagnosis of MD. He says he lied on the questinaires in hopes of getting them to perscribe anphetimines to him. We also hesitate to put him a therapy with other addicts as he makes such bad friends quickly with strangers and seems to gravitate head long into what is bad for him. Our son who was diagnosed (with second opinion) with Manic Depression about a year ago. Lithium was perscribed and he took it for 17 days and went off it due to concerns about developing diabetes (runs in the family already). He was helped by it and we all (including him) noticed an improvement in judgement, well being and less impetuous and dangerous decisions, increased sleeping and far less Manic "creativeness". He missed his creative "edge" over everyone else and stopped taking the drug and won't take it anymore.

His mania is manifested in unreasonable "projects" and dangerous senseless issues he becomes involved with (impetuous and bad judgement, attraction to dangerous situations, entertainment and people, staying up late at night and sleeping only a few hours a day or all day (when depressed, smokes marijuana to be able to do this), painting crazy pictures on large canvas (never did it before the onset of MD), trying to start a restaurant with no money, talking to everyone he knows and doesn't about his current projects, getting involved selling drugs to make "fast money", amoral, Hypersexuality and an addiction to pornography which is getting to be a more and more agressive type, trying automotive care on his only car without enough real world experience or knowledge, unable to care for his grooming consistantly, spends every dime and credit he gets a hold of within minutes of getting it, never having money for essentials, a growing addiction to Marijuana and something called cheese marijuana. (He's had a Medical Marijuana card for almost 2 years now so we are at a loss for how to stop his use of it,) tickets and failure to appear in courts, debts mounting and some violent emotional "eruptions" that result in breaking things and getting physical with us (his parents). Very Very agressive speach and horrific bad language which is peppered with drug references and sexuallty explicit expression that are shocking and inappropriate in public. His agression actions increase when he feels challenged. Feels criticized and challenged all the time, is contrary to any wise advice but listens to and seeks the advice of any tom dick or harry and acts on it regularly. Poor Poor judgement on the smallest things.
Please do not print my email address in your suggestions/answers. Thanks in advance for any help you can give us....we are so worried about him and would like to help, but we don't have medical insurance. We are paying out of pocket for his care so far...
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH replied 3 years ago.

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CS :

Hello, Thank you for using Justanswer.com

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CS :

With this type of situation, usually, the only type of intervention that will work is natural consequences and the elimination of any enabling behavior. He is an adult and clearly mentally ill and addicted to substances and behaviors. You mentioned not wanting to send him to treatment with other addicts, if he is willing to explore this, you may need to consider doing this just to get help from professionals that can help with this situation. Your main focus, and the best way to help him, is to educate yourself about co-addiction and enabling. If he gets tickets etc. let him have natural consequences. Does this make sense?

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CS :

I would encourage you to explore Al-anon meetings or families anonymous meetings in you area in order to get direction from others have experienced this already. Additionally, if he is in this manic state and you feel he is a danger to himself or others you can call your local mental health crisis team and ask them to assess him for an involuntary hold in a hospital until he is stabilized on medications.

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CS :

I hope this answer helps. I know this is a difficult answer to hear and that you want to help him get well, but bipolar d/o and addiction are two illnesses riddled with denial and severe consequences because the person has to want to get well before they will get well. Sometimes it takes being locked up to allow the jail or the hospital to administer medications/detox him and refer him on to other resources that will help.

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CS :

I wish you all the best with this situation and please let me know if you have any other questions. If you have found my answer helpful, please click "accept" and leave positive feedback.

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CS :

All the best,

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CS :

Kym

Customer:

I guess that's what I felt, I went to al-non when I was a young girl to deal with my sister's alcohol addiction, I was considering going there again for this. Thanks for the extra boost to do it again. it helped so much then and was a good solution for both of us. Things they suggested and I put into play helped her accept she had a problem. Also, friends who've had children with this same desease told me something similar, but I wasn't listening

Experience: Over 15 years of experience as a substance abuse therapist. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker