Ask Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH Your Ow...

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH, Therapist
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience as a substance abuse therapist. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker
25692555

My grandson is 20 and graduating from high school this year.

My grandson is 20 and graduating from high school this year. I just found out about dyscalculia and am wondering what professional he needs to see to diagnose this problem as a disability for him. I have described his specific problems but didn't realize there was a name for them until I read the diagnosis for dyscalculia. It described all the things I have been saying for the last year. Michael is supposed to go to college in 2011 and I would like a professional to help us.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH replied 4 years ago.

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CS :

Hello, Thank you for using Justanswer.com.

Customer:

Hello!

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CS :

There are a couple of different ways to have an official diagnosis give. It sounds like he is still in high school. You can contact the guidance counselor to see if they have a resource the school routinely uses for this type of situation. Sometimes, schools will have a school psychologist that can do the testing. If this is not available through his school you can seek the services of a psychologist in your community. Mostly, psychologist are the best professionals for testing.

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CS :

I hope this answer helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you are satisfied with this answer, please click "accept". All the best, Kym

Customer:

I have tried calling the school psychologist although I do not believe he has the credentials for diagnosing this disability. I understand it is hard to diagnose. He has not replied to my calls.

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CS :

Well, you may see if the guidance counselor can help expedite this. Also, you can look up psychological testing in your area and call around to see who tests adolescents for learning disabilities. Additionally, you could call his health insurance provider to see if they have a listing of qualified psychologists for the testing. Sometimes, specialty learning facilities, such as sylvan will have an inside scoop on professionals in the community who can do the testing.

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CS :

I think this chat box is having a technical issue. I'm not sure if you see what I just submitted, so I am going to submit it again.

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CS :

My last statement was to ask the guidance counselor to expidite matters with the school psychologist. Also, you can call your grandson's insurance company and ask for a referral.

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CS :

I hope you are seeing the above information, My side seems to have a glitch right now. I hope these suggestions have helped. Please click accept if you found my answer helpful today. I wish you the best with this situation.

Customer:

I did see your reply. Michael attended Sylvan two summers ago and they saw what I was seeing in his problems. I will call them. Michael has Medicaid so I don't think they would be of any help. I borrowed money to pay Sylvan. I can't afford to pay a lot of money for a diagnosis. Michael has been getting Social Security disability since he was a child. We have to see an Administrative Law Judge on Thursday because they want to take his SS away from him now that he is over 18. They feel he should go to work. I am trying to help him keep it until he finishes his education as I have no money to support him. A diagnosis might be helpful to show why he needs their support until he is able to finish his education and get a job.

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CS :

I'm sorry to hear about this situation. Yes, it might be helpful to get a diagnosis. You may want to consider calling the Department of rehabilitative services as well. Sometimes they can advocate with SS, and give testing to help a person without resources get testing and part time employment support which might give SS a reason to extend the ss disability money if they find that he has a disability. Also, there are lawyers that are experts in SS disability issues such as these that only take payments if they get more funding through ss disability. These are just some thoughts to help you along your journey. I wish you all the best with finding him help.

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CS :

Also, if he is getting medicaid, there may be resources at his local community mental health services board in your area.

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CS :

If you found my answer helpful today, please click accept and consider leaving positive feedback. All the best, Kym

Experience: Over 15 years of experience as a substance abuse therapist. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker