Ask Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH Your Ow...

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH, Therapist
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience as a substance abuse therapist. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker
25692555

i am a 57 yr old male and think I have what you call a shy

i am a 57 yr old male and think I have what you call a shy bladder. I have to have medicals with female nurses standing watching. I find it impossible to urinate in their presence. Can you help as it is affecting medicals I have to do for my employment

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CS :

Hello, Thank you for using justanswer.com.

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CS :

I'm sorry to hear you are going through this. There are a number of things you can try to help this problem. First, you may want to ask if you can be unobserved for the tests? Unless this is a urine drug screen that needs to be monitored. If so, you can requested the use of an oral swab test instead of a urine screen. Also, you may want to consider hypnotherapy. Sometimes, hypnosis is very helpful for these types of problems. I hope these suggestions help. Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you are satisfied with my answer, please click accept and leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Customer:

Thanks for that answer. I have considered hypnotherapy. The urine tests I have are drug/alcohol tests and nurse presence is essential. So far I hove got arround it by seeking privacy but I know my next one will require nurse presence. I am petrified.

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CS :

Do you think they would consider an oral swab test? Perhaps if you were to pay extra for it? I know that is really scary, knowing your job is on the line if you can't produce. Sometimes people will ask to give a blood test at their primary care dr's office as well. I really hope one of these suggestions help. All the best, Kym

Customer:

Thanks XXXXX wont consider blood tests or oral swabs unfortunatley.

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CS :

ah, that's no good! I would definitely seek a hypnotherapist then. You can look online for downloadable MP3's for a shy bladder.

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CS :

or find one locally.

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CS :

Also, you could try a therapist that specializes in cognitive behavioral therapy. It would be a much longer process though.

Customer:

Thanks again Kym. I dont have a lot of time before the test is due

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CS :

hmmm, try the downloadable MP3 then. I think that would be best.

Customer:

thank you