Dr. K
Dr. K, Psychiatrist
Experience:  15 years clinical experience in all areas of psychiatry. Holistic and practical approach.
50493013

My daughter who is 48 has been having some serious problems

Customer Question

My daughter who is 48 has been having some serious problems thinking. She will have nothing to do with money, she will not go to Court about her child support, she will not take money in any form. She tells me she has been talking to God and he is telling her what to do. Some times her voice will change to a southern style and feels she is with many types of angels and no one in the world understands her. I have a general power of attorney and would like to know if I can force her to get the help she desperatly needs.

Bob Boyd
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. K replied 4 years ago.

It's gonna depend on where you live. Each state in the US has its own laws about forcing people to get psychiatric treatment. Usually a general power of attorney won't help with this; here in the northwest where I practice, you need a full guardianship of a person in order to sign them into a psych hospital or make treatment decisions for them. If you want to tell me where you live I can probably get you some contact numbers of professionals who know the system in your area. Take care.

_____________________________________________________________________________
Please let me know if you need more information. We can continue the dialog until you are satisfied. Once your are happy with the answers don't forget to hit the ACCEPT button & provide expert feedback. Also remember that this is not an official doctor patient relationship and not a substitute for a full live psychiatric evaluation. Thank you for using justanswers.com

Dr. K, Psychiatrist
Experience: 15 years clinical experience in all areas of psychiatry. Holistic and practical approach.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
WE
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
WE LIVE IN COLORADO I LIVE IN PUBLO AND SHE LIVES IN BROOMFIELD ABOUT 130 MILES APART
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We live in Colorado about 130 miles apart I in Pueblo and Robyn in Broomfiled
Expert:  Dr. K replied 4 years ago.

I spoke to the local department in your area. Here's what they told me. You can contact the Adult Crisis team to explain in deatil your what's going on with your daughter to see how they can help.

In general, I was told they can only evaluate her if you can get her to the local ER. You can double check with them if they have a mobile crisis team (people to come out and meet her at home).

Otherwise, the only way to force her to get help is utilizing the police; I know that's not ideal, but that's how many states operate. You could explain everything to the police...they can then go do a welfare check on her. I know when I worked in Pennsylvania & Georgia, police were very willing to force patients in for treatment. Here in Washington & Idaho, they are not so willing...in other words, if a person lies to them and denies all the symptoms they get left alone. I'm not sure about Colorado...so ask the adult crisis worker you speak to. They can help. Make sure to tell them you have power of attorney to see if that will help you.

The final resort if none of this works is talking to a local lawyer about getting a full guardisnship. I hope this was helpful. Please let me know if you need other info. Good luck & take care.