Mina, Clinical Psychologist
Experience:  Working as a Highly Specialist Clinical Psychologist in NHS. Experience in both children and adults

My husbamd i dealing with depression . what steps do

My husbamd i dealing with depression . what steps do i need to take to get him the help he needs i don't know where to start. thank you a concerned wife
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Mina replied 5 years ago.

Hi and thank you for contacting us.

I am sorry to hear about your husband dealing with depression. It seems that you both agree on this which is very important. Since he has realized that he needs help then the best thing that you can do is find a Psychologist/ therapist in your local area. There are many psychotherapy models that specialists can be trained in. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy model focuses on the process of thoughts and feelings and looks into helping the patients identify his/her unhelpful thinking patterns and challenge them and ultimately change them into more helpful ones. It also helps patients acquire better coping skills. It focuses more on the here and now and it can be a relatively short treatment course. If your husband feels that his depression has to do with long term issues or difficult relationships in his life then a more Integrative model or a Psychodynamic model would explore deeper feelings and relationships and help understand the impact of different factors in his life. This is regarded a much deeper level of work within someone's self and it usually involves a longer term treatment course. Regardless of the therapy model, all Psychologists would need to assess him first and gain a good understanding of the problem. Sometimes couple's therapy can be recommended if the issues lie between the couple.

You can use the links below to start the search

I hope everything works out well for you and your husband.

All the best