Lori Gephart
Lori Gephart, Licensed Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist and Hypnotherapist 20 years of experience helping clients of all ages.

How does one find a psychologist who is trained in helping

How does one find a psychologist who is trained in helping someone with DID? What does one do if the situation gets worse and switching is happening more frequently?

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.

I am sorry to hear about the problems you are experiencing. You are correct that a psychologist would be very important to you in your recovery process. This is not something to try to fix all on your own. There is a type of therapy known as the Trauma Model by Dr. Colin Ross that is particularly effective for these issues. The goal of this therapy is to help you learn to feel your feelings in a safe way, instead of having them create symptoms. You may find Dr. Ross's website helpful for more information:

To find a psychologist who specializes in this area you could go to the PSYCHOLOGY TODAY website, on the advanced search page ( and enter your zip code and click an optional specialty.

In addition, medications can often be helpful, but only in conjunction with therapy. Other things that can be helpful include mindful eating and mindful meditation, exercise, adequate rest, finding hobbies that you enjoy, focusing on positives about yourself, volunteering, and interacting with supportive people.

Your switching may be happening more often due to certain triggers in your life, or other stressors. It is important to get help for this. DBT therapy can also be very helpful with this, including grounding techniques. I hope this answer is helpful. Please let me know if I can clarify further.