Dr. K
Dr. K, Psychiatrist
Experience:  15 years clinical experience in all areas of psychiatry. Holistic and practical approach.

My son is 7 yrs old. He has ADHD and ODD. He displayed extreme

My son is 7 yrs old. He has ADHD and ODD. He displayed extreme behaviors at both home and school so much so I ended up homeschooling him for 1 yr. I saw all of his behaviors decrease to almost being non existent so we tried school again. After being in school for 4weeks his behaviors at school or so out of control and he has been suspended until they can decide what to do with him. Could the classroom setting just be to overwhelming for him? as he is successful 90% of the time in all other areas of his life?

I think so. There have been studies showing that children with ADHD can be treated in classrooms with high staff ratios & behavioral therpy...these programs are equally successfull to treating children with stimulants like ritalin.

Some children are just more senstitive to their environment than others; if the behaviors disappeared when home schooling him...and returned when he went back...this does support the idea that school is too overstimulating for him. Perhaps as he gets older it will be easier for him to handle.

There are clearly downsides to homeschooling too (e.g. less social skills development since they're not around other children), but sometimes the benefits outweigh the risks. You might want to consider homeschooling him again if that's an option.

Please let me know if you need more information. We can continue the dialog until you are satisfied. Once your are happy with the answers don't forget to hit the ACCEPT button & provide expert feedback. Also remember that this is not an official doctor patient relationship and not a substitute for a full live psychiatric evaluation. Thank you for using