Dr. K
Dr. K, Psychiatrist
Experience:  15 years clinical experience in all areas of psychiatry. Holistic and practical approach.

I have been diagnosed 1+2nd opinion) as ADHD. I am 52 years

I have been diagnosed 1+2nd opinion) as ADHD. I am 52 years old. Sexually abused for years as child. Sometimes extreme anxiety. Many time extreme depression (tears, death thoughts, giving up). I have tried many medications over the last year. Stimulants work on racing thoughts but seem to increase heart rate. Extreme racing thoughts. Hard to focus. Am in college. Lost confidence in psychiatrist I see. Would like to seek medication that would calm mind and anxiety yet bring up depressive mood.

Have you tried wellbutrin (bupropion)? This is a unique's classified as an anti-depressant, but because of it's effect on the dopamine system it can also treat ADHD. It can rarely increase heart rate too, so if you want to try it, I would start with a low dose...using regular buproprion (not the SR or XL doses b/c you can't cut those in half) 75mg...1/2 tab twice a day. The average wellbutrin dose is 300mg and max is 450. In general I like to increase the dose as needed every month. If you started on the dose I mentioned, and had no improvement in 1-2 could increase it to 1 full tab twice a day as long as you're not having any side effects.

Also, imipramine (and other similar meds) are antidepressants which can also treat ADHD. The other med you didn't mention trying was is a stimulant, but maybe it would work well for you without increasing heart rate like the others.

Do you use caffeine? That's also a stimulant...obviously not as strong as meds...but thus less likely to increase heart rate. The last study I saw on caffeine said it can be healthy in moderation (avg 4 regular size caffeinated beverages/day).

Let me know if you need more help.

Please let me know if you need more information. We can continue the dialog until you are satisfied. Once your are happy with the answers don't forget to hit the ACCEPT button & provide expert feedback. Also remember that this is not an official doctor patient relationship and not a substitute for a full live psychiatric evaluation. Thank you for using

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Does this cost me more? If it does, please do not reply. I have paid out enough over the last 1+ year for what I got.

I need to reduce my racing thoughts to continue in school. I can't read a sentance and retain it through to the next one. Can't stop at a stop sign and remember what my last look was. Need to slow those thoughts. Don't want to have a heart attack doing it though. If its hopeless, let me know.

This doesn't cost you more. You can keep asking questions & I'll keep answering. When we're completely done, I appreciate it if you hit the ACCEPT button so i get credit for one question.

I don't think its didn't comment on whether you had tried the meds I just mentioned (wellbutrin, imipramine, caffeine).

Also, remember that psychotherapy has been proven by research to help with both depression & ADHD. I also recommend learning some formal relaxation therapy (yoga, tai chi, meditation,etc). All these treatments are proven by studies using sophisticated brain scans to calm down the brain.

Here are some self-help book ideas too: 1) The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success by Deepak Chopra, 2) The Depression Workbook: A Guide for Living with Depression and Manic Depression, Second Edition by Mary Ellen Copeland and Matthew McKay 3) The Feeling Good Handbook by David D. Burns; 4) The Relaxation & Stress Reduction Workbook (New Harbinger Self-Help Workbook) by XXXXX XXXXX; 5) Mastering Your Adult ADHD: A Cognitive-Behavioral Treatment Program Client Workbook (Treatments That Work) by Steven A. Safren

I always recommend these strategies (books, therapy, relaxation) to patients when I 1st meet them...and I think they're even more important for people who are struggling to find the right balance of medications.

I think you accidentally responded to me in the feedback session...not here...

I think you probably already know alcohol doesn't combine well with medications. Technically, it's a depressant even if it seems to temporarily help. Exactly how

much are you drinking?

DON't hit accept again or you'll be charged again.