Dr. K
Dr. K, Psychiatrist
Experience:  15 years clinical experience in all areas of psychiatry. Holistic and practical approach.

I was diagnosed Bipolar I ten years ago. I have been on Lithium,

I was diagnosed Bipolar I ten years ago. I have been on Lithium, Risperdal, Tegretol, etc. I am switching Psychiatrists and will adopt different meds. I have had fairly strong, positive, peaceful manic episodes that broke through any manic blockers I was taking. Can you explain this? I do not drink or use any drugs. I drink water, meditate, get good sleep, etc. The problem is that the negative impact on relationships, family, and work is deteriorating. Help?

Sometimes our medications don't work 100%. I have had several patients who have a manic episode despite being on a medication. One key is picking up warning signs that mania is coming; then you can try making rapid med adjustments to prevent the episode from becoming a full blown manic episode.

This may require use of multiple meds at once. Make sure you tell your new psychiatrist your concerns and as many details about your medication history as possible. Sometimes it takes time to really fine tune the medications to help someone feel stable.

Also, if you haven't done it yet, consider getting some psychotherapy...perhaps see a CBT specialist (cognitive behavioral therapy). Let me know if you need more help.

Please let me know if you need more information. We can continue the dialog until you are satisfied. Once your are happy with the answers don't forget to hit the ACCEPT button & provide expert feedback. Also remember that this is not an official doctor patient relationship and not a substitute for a full live psychiatric evaluation. Thank you for using