Mina
Mina, Clinical Psychologist
Experience:  Working as a Highly Specialist Clinical Psychologist in NHS. Experience in both children and adults
35302356

im a 46 year old male and suffer from adhd,ihave been on medication

im a 46 year old male and suffer from adhd,ihave been on medication for 2 years...8 x 5ml dexamphedeme,althoudh it seems to help,life is very hard,for me and those around me,i am very anti social and lock myslf into isolation,latley i feel it is too hard to live life the way i am and feel the world would be better off without me,,i dont know what to do,or who to see for help,i cant keep living if this is as good as it gets,is ther any other avenues i may be abke to take thank you russell forsyth
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Mina replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us.

I am sorry to hear that you re struggling. How long have you been feeling like this?How long ago were you diagnosed with ADHD?and finally how are your low mood and isolation tendencies relate to this disorder for you?

If you could give me some background information I would have a better idea of your problems.

Thank you

Mina

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i was diagnosed 2 years ago.as my wife read an aticle about a adult who had adhd ,saw a syke who medically diagnosed it,in the 2 years of treatment,i have lostmy drivers licence, (speeding offences)been to court for possion of speed, using a mobile phone with mennance,,had avo put on me,im like a walking timebomb,i have tantrums and throw,break things and find it very hard do everyday issues,the worst benn talking to telephone steps,,eg probelms with foxtell,mobile phones,the list goes on,my past is boys homes,jails ,drug detoxs,was married 18mths ago,wife is caring,understanding,and most of all non judgemental,whoever im starting to wear her down,my doc basically said,this is basica;lly as good as it gets,started with 6 x 5ml dex,,,now 8x 5ml dex
Expert:  Mina replied 6 years ago.

I see. You mention in your short description that problems started in the last two years of your treatment. However, you also mention that you had a rough childhood, adolescence and early adulthood. Although I could not possibly perform an assessment from a website, somehow it is difficult for me to believe that all the problems that you mentioned are due to ADHD. You seem to have longstanding issues with anger and a tendency to get in trouble with the low which could indicate certain difficulties. ADHD may well play part in this but it is difficult to believe that this is the root of your problems.

Have you ever considered seeing a Psychologist for therapy? Therapy would help you understand and identify your difficulties and needs. If ADHD is indeed the problem a Psychologist could definitely also help you with managing your outbursts and tantrums, improving your communication skills, help your relationship with your wife and finding a way forward accepting certain difficulties that you have and being able to manage the ones that you can.

Therefore I would definitely advise you to find a Psychologist near to you and begin with a thorough assessment that would shed some light into your difficulties.

Please feel free to share any feedback on these thoughts.

Mina

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

when first went t o my local gp reguardig adhd,was sent to a phycholist,told her about me,at the time i was smoking pot very heaverly,told her that it was the only thing that stopped my mind from spinning like a top,that i gew dope in my room,but couldnt look after that,,her responce was to treat them with care and let my wife do the simple things to help me through the day,,,,after seeing a syke6 weeks later,he told me that pot was a big no no for an adhd person,i now have regular urines and dont smoke,i asked him about further theropy,basically he said the medication(dexamphedine0WAS ALL I NEED,IM VERY IMPULSIVEalso

Expert:  Mina replied 6 years ago.

Hi

I have opted out in case another Expert could give you some other advice

thanks

Mina