Arundhati, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience:  Licensed psychotherapist, Published Wellness Author

I have cut off everyone around me who I believe is toxic.

I have cut off everyone around me who I believe is toxic. I basically don't have anymore friends.They either tried to use me for money or, for example, an old boyfriend who doesn't want me but still comes around. Am I crazy for cutting everyone off?

Thank you for bringing your important question to Just Answer.

If you have reason to believe that people around you have been toxic than it makes sense for you to have cut them off. However, it is also important for each of us to have a support system of some kind - so that we can reach out and communicate, socialize and interact with them when we feel the need to. Human beings are primarily social beings and not having anyone to reach out to may be emotionally taxing.

Perhaps you can start to build new friendships again? You could look up some meet up groups in your community, or attend a church group, or any other type of gathering where you will be able to meet new people and make some friends.

If you are not currently in therapy you could consider it as a way to talk about your feelings of being let down by your previous friends, and learn some skills around effective boundary setting so that in the future, friends or acquaintances are not able to use you.

I hope this is helpful. Please click on "Accept" if it is. Please let me know if you have any clarifications.

Warm regards,