Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
46062601

What can I do to convince a depress person to go to the do

What can I do to convince a depress person to go to the doctor?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 4 years ago.
Hello & Welcome to JustAnswer. It sounds like someone you are close to may be depressed. Is she unwilling to seek help from her doctor? Do you think she may see her primary care doctor?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
She did talk to her doctor and he suggested to seek for that kind of help, but she resist to do it, she say that she does not want to be under medication and that she knows what are they going to tell her
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 4 years ago.
Hi, If she is resistant to medication, is she open to counseling?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I think so, but one thing that I think she may be willing to do is to be tested to see if she had some chemical unbalance in her brain, because she already thinks in taking her life when she is under stress, and that worries me a lot but I do not want to say something that can make feel worst
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 4 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for additional information. It sounds like she already has seen her primary care physician for a physical check-up. Her primary care doctor may have referred her to a psychiatrist for medication evaluation. Perhaps, she may take a complete psychological-neurological assessment with a clinical psychologist and a neurologist in a local hospital or a clinic.

Depression is a state of disease that affects body and mind. Depression can disrupt the nerve impulses that carry a constant stream of orders from the brain to the muscles. When the depressed brain slows down, so do the signals to all parts of body. Depression affects memory, problem-solving ability, language, perception and is accompanied by nervous tension, anxiety, and profound fatigue. It can generate pain and aches. If untreated over time, Depression may cause Psychosis.
Medical reasons for Depression may include thyroid hormone abnormality, Vitamin B12 Deficiency, Chronic pain, Stroke (Brain injury), Alzheimer’s disease, other medical problems such as kidneys, heart, lung, epilepsy, migraine headaches, brain injury. Malnutrition/brain damage can dull mood further. Excessive alcohol use may aggravate depression. Some medication can cause or contribute to depression. Her doctor should know all the medication that she is taking. I also advise her to see a counselor to express and process her feelings and thoughts weekly. A combination of psychotherapy and pharmacotherapy are considered to be effective to treat Depression.

She may benefit from seeing a therapist who specializes in Cognitive-Behavior therapy (CBT) for depression that she has.

She can search a licensed psychologist/psychotherapist on internet- such as the PSYCHOLOGY TODAY website. Go to (http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/ppc/prof_search.php?iorb=4764) and enter your zip code and optional category of specialty as depression. Read psychotherapists’ profile to see if he or she specializes in Cognitive-behavior therapy and depression. She may also want to create her mental image of psychotherapist that she wants to work with – Male or female? Old or young? To note, many therapists offer initial consultation for free. So, she can see it as an informational meeting. She can ask any question and negotiate psychotherapy fee.

There are three books that may be helpful:
The book "MIND OVER MOOD by Dr. Greenberger and Padesky" may help you to understand the connection between your thoughts, feelings and behavior (action). Also, two books
"Self-Esteem: A Proven Program of Cognitive Techniques for Assessing, Improving, and Maintaining Your Self-Esteem by McKay and Fanning" and "
The Self-Esteem Workbook by Schiraldi" may help her to work through her self-esteem issues.
I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards,

Edited by Dr. Olsen on 11/2/2010 at 2:39 AM EST
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience: PsyD Psychologist