Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.
25396616

i am already taking citalopram 20mg but feel as thought it

Customer Question

i am already taking citalopram 20mg but feel as thought it is not working i minitue i will be happy then the next i am down and moody somtimes i feel as thow my head is spinnin i can see it if i close my eyes i dont feel dissy its hard to exsplain and i cant peace any think together this mainly happens when i am stressd i get stressd over the smallest things i am struggling to sleep and dont feel myself any more. i have been throw 3 years of demestic violence and i think this is were it has all startd from i also used to take drugs such as pills coke does it sound like i have a mental health problem
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Ed Wilfong replied 6 years ago.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

How long have you been on this dosage??? 20mg is very low. You may need to increase it to 40mg and give it a couple weeks. Typically you may have some side effects for a couple weeks after starting it and after each dosage increase.

JACUSTOMER-t7pnhlm2- :

over a year they helpd at 1st

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

Some people "poop out" on this and other medications after a period of time. The usual strategy is to increase dosage to 40mg for a couple weeks, and if needed, after two weeks, 60mg. If after two week at 60mg, you may talk to doctor about changing medications. This is a very common issue and will typically get better with either te increase or change to a similar med.